NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

Postby Nelg » June 27th, 2011, 7:18 am

This thread is for trail condition reports on the VASA Singletrack.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Re: Northern: VASA Singletrack

Postby detroitjohnny » July 6th, 2011, 9:53 am

VASA single is pretty darn sandy right now. But, then again.... it's summer, so it's always sandy. :lol:

The new re-routes are nice!! Not sure who's been working on them, (Tom, Chris, others??) but thank you!! Sand is pretty bad the first 3 miles or do and then it tapers off for the rest of the ride.

Get out there and ride it!!
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby Nelg » July 6th, 2011, 10:00 am

detroitjohnny wrote:VASA single is pretty darn sandy right now. But, then again.... it's summer, so it's always sandy. :lol:

The new re-routes are nice!! Not sure who's been working on them, (Tom, Chris, others??) but thank you!! Sand is pretty bad the first 3 miles or do and then it tapers off for the rest of the ride.

The re-routes have been a collaborative effort between the CCCC and the MMBA. The adopt a trail section is right around the corner, stay tuned for more info.
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby detroitjohnny » July 6th, 2011, 10:07 am

Nelg wrote:
detroitjohnny wrote:VASA single is pretty darn sandy right now. But, then again.... it's summer, so it's always sandy. :lol:

The re-routes have been a collaborative effort between the CCCC and the MMBA. The adopt a trail section is right around the corner, stay tuned for more info.

Sweet!!! Are there set times that people are out doing work? I sure could use to give back a little bit. :oops:
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby owosso bob » July 6th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Rode this the middle of June and the new sections are a definite improvement . ChrisR was our mechanic on the Northwest Tour and was telling me and SteveF all the work they are planning . I took a little bark off the trees in that new section home with me .Thanks for all the work ! owosso bob
owosso bob

Postby Jayers » July 11th, 2011, 10:13 am

Reroutes? Cool. I'm staying at Timber Ridge in August and intend to ride this most every morning. Looking forward to the new sections. Is there a map online with them yet?
Jayers

Postby jallen317 » July 13th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Yesterday I rode the whole loop for the first time. . Very fast, Very fun with some sand more so in the beginning than anywhere else. Other than that it was great
jallen317

Postby poirier » July 23rd, 2011, 6:05 pm

Trail was in great condition today. Sandy but fun!
poirier

Postby printenv » July 25th, 2011, 4:37 pm

I moved up to Traverse City at the start of June. I have heard that there is a plethora of unmarked trails/double track around the Vasa Singletrack. I was wondering if this has ever been mapped out, and if so, how would I get a copy of this map?

I am willing to ride with people to learn the area as well, but one major caveat is that I am slow and stop a lot because I am getting back into shape.
"One has to be able to adapt to the unexpected, laugh at the absurdly difficult, and find some level of enjoyment at even the toughest times." -- Kurt Refsnider
printenv

Postby Nelg » July 25th, 2011, 4:53 pm

printenv wrote:I moved up to Traverse City at the start of June. I have heard that there is a plethora of unmarked trails/double track around the Vasa Singletrack. I was wondering if this has ever been mapped out, and if so, how would I get a copy of this map?

I am willing to ride with people to learn the area as well, but one major caveat is that I am slow and stop a lot because I am getting back into shape.

First of all, Welcome!

Second, I'd do the Thursday night ride starting from the single track parking lot at 6:30. There are a couple guys that know the trails like the back of their hand and it's a more mild pace than the Monday night hammer heads.

What part of TC are you in? We'll have to hook up for some rides!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby detroitjohnny » July 25th, 2011, 4:56 pm

^^^^^^ this is your best bet. I've been on these (but its been a couple years) and you will learn a lot. Plus, you'll meet great people. Real "no drop" rides too.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby printenv » July 25th, 2011, 5:15 pm

I will have to check out the Thursday night ride then. I live near Boardman Lake (middle TC, not sure, 3 miles from the bay).
"One has to be able to adapt to the unexpected, laugh at the absurdly difficult, and find some level of enjoyment at even the toughest times." -- Kurt Refsnider
printenv

Postby ihateplaindave » July 26th, 2011, 8:41 am

The MMBA website shows the trailhead in what looks like a subdivision just west of Boardman Lake. Is this right?
ihateplaindave

Postby Nelg » July 26th, 2011, 8:54 am

ihateplaindave wrote:The MMBA website shows the trailhead in what looks like a subdivision just west of Boardman Lake. Is this right?

What are you talking about, it's over on Supply road. ;)

Actually, nice catch, it's fixed!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby Jayers » July 27th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Hmm, I'll be staying at Timberridge next week. I might pop over to the trail head on Thursday for that ride.
Jayers

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments