EXPO- now the Michigan Bicycling Expo!

Official news and announcements about MMBA happenings

Re: EXPO- now the Michigan Bicycling Expo!

Postby Geff » January 22nd, 2014, 9:31 am

dmbauer wrote:Should I be concerned that my check for EXPO tables has not cleared?

Probably not. They will most likely be put through all at one time once gathered.
Geff

Postby dmbauer » January 22nd, 2014, 4:19 pm

Thanks Geff!
dmbauer

Postby parttime » January 24th, 2014, 11:15 am

Loren wrote:Yup, our intent is to mostly build the pump track on Saturday afternoon. Anyone is welcome to drop by if you want to help.

Someone had the idea that since we had dirt, equipment, and smart people there on Sunday it might make sense to build a few more features as a learning experience. It's not the best soil at the pavilion - loose, sandy, organic :shock: but you can build with it and demonstrate the principles.

Starts at 11.

What time on Saturday afternoon is the pump track building going on?
parttime

Postby Loren » January 24th, 2014, 11:26 am

We're starting around noonish!
Loren

Postby aarontriton » January 24th, 2014, 8:50 pm

I am wanting to bring my family to this event. Is there a cost of admission ? My son is 9 can he bring his bike to ride track? Thanks

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
aarontriton

Postby Geff » January 24th, 2014, 9:06 pm

There is no cost, and yes, your son can bring his bike to ride the dirt track. Please bring his helmet too.
Geff

Postby aarontriton » January 24th, 2014, 9:38 pm

Great . Thanks I hope to be there

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
aarontriton

Postby SteveF » January 26th, 2014, 3:02 pm

Crowd was a bit thin this year--not very nice weather for traveling...
SteveF

Postby bockrona » January 26th, 2014, 3:11 pm

What a crock of F-ing S!

Website says expo til 5. I'm here all alone. No tables set up. No people. No wares for purchase. Just a waste of my time.
bockrona

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 26th, 2014, 6:05 pm

SteveF wrote:Crowd was a bit thin this year--not very nice weather for traveling...

After clearing the snow out of my driveway and listening to the news reports, driving to Lansing wasn't happening. Went for a local ride later in the day. Was there a ride before the meet?

Bockrona - It was posted the swap meet ended at 1PM. I can't think of an Expo I ever stayed past 3PM unless there was a guest speaker or presentation I wanted to see. A couple years ago I stayed at my table around 2PM past the closing time and packed up as the crowd pretty much thinned out to nothing. It's never a good idea to show up after 1PM unless you are attending one of the advocacy meetings or other presentations from my experience.
Steve_Balogh

Postby dennismurphy » January 26th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Your later arrival does offer us opportunity to improve.

We did fail to specify to non-profit and commercial vendors a time to dismantle their exhibits or how long to maintain them. As most spectators arrived between 9am-11am, the exhibits were all viewed during that time. Additionally multiple activities were going on which pulled people in and out of the general exhibit area. The CPS awards pulled many people from 200-300pm at which time many vendors presumed that the event was on the downside for attendance.

The 5pm closing time was not specifically for the vendor exhibits but for all activities in general. Also, the closing time does NOT apply, regardless, to the swap meet folks. It's their decision when to arrive and depart depending the products they are trying to sell.

In the future we will work to confirm committed times for the vendors. Additionally we will be more specific as to what activities are subject to time frames posted.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Dennis Murphy, President- Michigan Mountain Biking Association
dennismurphy

Postby bockrona » January 26th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Not sure how you could be surprised, I followed the schedule as posted. My apologies for being *beep*, but I changed some family plans for the expo and we all trekked over to see a row of empty tables. Any expo I ever volunteered or worked at in the past had a time that the booths/vendors commit to exhibit that corresponded to the advertised end of the event. The swap meet schedule is not relevant to this conversation, I did not complain about the swap meet being over early.
bockrona

Postby dennismurphy » January 26th, 2014, 9:30 pm

hmm

I know our treasurer apologized profusely to you in person at the expo. I am doing my best to apologize here. We are certainly open to constructive criticism.

But you're not being very gracious. What do you suggest we do further at this point?

Any expo I ever volunteered or worked at in the past had a time that the booths/vendors commit to exhibit that corresponded to the advertised end of the event.

I repeat my invitation.. We could use additional (experienced) volunteers
dennismurphy

Previous

Return to MMBA News