Nervous!

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Nervous!

Postby Skin N Bones » June 28th, 2013, 4:59 am

xcrdr wrote:Most companies wouldn't replace that frame. It's not a warranty issue. It was an accident.The good thing is Specialized has replaced alot of frames that were broken by other than warranty related issues. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

What this guy says.
Non warranty issue.
SNB
one day yer up
next day yer down
that's the way that the world goes round
Skin N Bones

Postby galaxydean » August 12th, 2013, 11:19 am

6 week up date. Yep that's right 6 weeks now. No response from Specialized. I have been call lbs once per week, nothing. Called Specialized support this morning. Talked to Mike who apologized for the delay (current warranty rep for this area on extended vaca). I was very polite but let him know the delay was not acceptable. Told him I was nervous about the replacement because of where the frame cracked. He told me that the frame should not crack there and he would have a different rep call lbs. Renewed hope. Still nervous.
dean
galaxydean

Postby joshjv » August 12th, 2013, 2:55 pm

galaxydean wrote:6 week up date. Yep that's right 6 weeks now. No response from Specialized. I have been call lbs once per week, nothing. Called Specialized support this morning. Talked to Mike who apologized for the delay (current warranty rep for this area on extended vaca). I was very polite but let him know the delay was not acceptable. Told him I was nervous about the replacement because of where the frame cracked. He told me that the frame should not crack there and he would have a different rep call lbs. Renewed hope. Still nervous.

Good luck. Even if they do warranty the frame, likely it will be on you to cover the costs of transferring all of your components over to the new frame.. Just so you know.
joshjv

Postby Roy » August 12th, 2013, 8:07 pm

If Specialized can't help you, the derailleur hanger might be replace with an original style C'Dale derailleur hanger. These hangers are a clevis design.
So even if the frame is cracked at the attachment hole the C'Dale hanger will wrap both sides of any metal that is left. You will probably need to fit the C'Dale hanger with hammer, saw, drill, and file. A clevis doubles the joint strength and can be fitted to almost any remaining metal.
Most other derailleur hangers are one sided and shaped to fit the frame. Once the frame is cracked or broken at the hanger's attachment point bolting on a new derailleur hanger will not work.
It might be worth the effort find an old C'Dale hanger. (pre bankruptcy)
New C'Dale hangers are not a clevis design.

Roy

clevis |ˈklevəs|
noun
a U-shaped or forked metal connector within which another part can be fastened by means of a bolt or pin passing through the ends of the connector.
Roy

Postby galaxydean » August 13th, 2013, 11:00 am

Thank you very much Roy. Either one of these the one you are talking about?
http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... p_612.html
http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/Cannon ... _p_85.html
dean
galaxydean

Postby jfactor! » August 13th, 2013, 11:43 am

Skin N Bones wrote:
xcrdr wrote:Most companies wouldn't replace that frame. It's not a warranty issue. It was an accident.The good thing is Specialized has replaced alot of frames that were broken by other than warranty related issues. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

What this guy says.
Non warranty issue.
SNB
one day yer up
next day yer down
that's the way that the world goes round

+1

This is the equivalent of hitting a deer with your car and trying to get it covered under warranty. An accident isn't a defect.
jfactor!

Postby Critter7r » August 13th, 2013, 12:19 pm

jfactor! wrote:This is the equivalent of hitting a deer with your car and trying to get it covered under warranty. An accident isn't a defect.

For the sake of argument, the rear der hanger is supposed to be the weak point for when things like this happen, so who's to say that the hanger wasn't built stronger than it was designed to be (or designed stronger than it needed to be), or to say that the mounting point of the hanger wasn't weaker than it was designed to be (or designed too weakly to begin with).

These are the sort of arguments we get pretty frequently (I work at a car dealer). We replace sunroofs (sunrooves? :) ) under warranty all the time when they shatter (not that they shatter all the time, but for the 2 or 3 per year that do, we cover them all). Because even though it seems obvious to me that it was struck by something, the customer always says that nothing hit the glass and invariably makes the comment that, "it shouldn't do that!!" Same thing with cupholders that break when they get a 40 oz drink put into them. No, they weren't designed for that large of a drink, but we cover them under warranty anyhow.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby iamkickstand » August 13th, 2013, 12:28 pm

jfactor! wrote:[

+1

This is the equivalent of hitting a deer with your car and trying to get it covered under warranty. An accident isn't a defect.

Except, the fail safe that is designed into the frame to prevent this type of damage didn't work as it was designed.
iamkickstand

Postby vette-ss » August 13th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Everyone beat me to it. Its like hitting a deer and having to replace the frame on your truck. You wouldn't have expected that type of damage from a low grade impact. The bolt on my hanger is a soft aluminum. The slightest overtorque and you will be replacing it. Make sure that someone hadn't changed the bolt to something much stronger.
vette-ss

Postby iamkickstand » August 13th, 2013, 2:59 pm

vette-ss wrote:Everyone beat me to it. Its like hitting a deer and having to replace the frame on your truck. You wouldn't have expected that type of damage from a low grade impact. The bolt on my hanger is a soft aluminum. The slightest overtorque and you will be replacing it. Make sure that someone hadn't changed the bolt to something much stronger.

bad example, I hit a deer and it bent the front bumper and frame horns of my jeep wrangler.....it got totalled due to needing a bumper, a fender, and a frame :mrgreen:

But, I knew what you meant :D
iamkickstand

Postby galaxydean » September 4th, 2013, 6:35 pm

Well it took a while but worth it. Specialized agreed with me during my first call to them. The frame should not have broken at the dropout. They have shipped a 2014 Rockhopper Comp and I should have it Tuesday next week. Hats off to Specialized for what I obviously, believe is the right decision. Hangers are there to prevent the frame from breaking. Picking up a twig is not an accident. If that was the case there would be a lot of broken frames from normal riding. Also hats off to Otto at Town and Country Bikes in Livonia! It pays to by a quality bike from a quality dealer. I can finally get off the skinny!
dean
galaxydean

Postby iamkickstand » September 4th, 2013, 6:44 pm

Im glad you were able to get a replacement. That's pretty good service from a giant in the industry.
iamkickstand

Previous

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques