Nervous!

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Nervous!

Postby galaxydean » June 24th, 2013, 11:35 am

I was riding Saturday at Hickory Glen when I picked up a twig and broke my derailleur hanger. Found out that I had actually broke part of the dropout off the frame that holds the hanger. Major bummer! Took it to a Specialized shop close by but didn't have my original receipt. So this morning I took it to the lbs where I purchased it. It is an 05' Rockhopper Comp bought in late 06'. It's been a great bike! Don't have the $ to do anything if they won't warranty it. So I am now anxiously awaiting the determination of Specialized local warranty rep to say yes or no.
dean
galaxydean

Re: Nervous!

Postby utabintarbo » June 24th, 2013, 1:06 pm

FWIW, I think the hanger itself is on you. The dropout should be on them, as the whole idea of a replaceable hanger is to prevent frame damage. I hope they see it the same way. Good Luck! :)
utabintarbo

Postby galaxydean » June 24th, 2013, 1:39 pm

I like your way of thinking U! Already have the new hanger, cause I'm trying to stay positive. Def still nervous though. I don't have a couple of extra g's laying around.
dean
galaxydean

Postby c0nsumer » June 24th, 2013, 1:40 pm

galaxydean wrote:I like your way of thinking U! Already have the new hanger, cause I'm trying to stay positive. Def still nervous though. I don't have a couple of extra g's laying around.

A frame comparable to a mid-90s Rockhopper isn't going to set you back a couple grand. You can probably find a comparable replacement here for $100-ish.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Critter7r » June 24th, 2013, 2:05 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
galaxydean wrote:I like your way of thinking U! Already have the new hanger, cause I'm trying to stay positive. Def still nervous though. I don't have a couple of extra g's laying around.

A frame comparable to a mid-90s Rockhopper isn't going to set you back a couple grand. You can probably find a comparable replacement here for $100-ish.

i was thinking the same thing... they were only $500 brand new. But then I got to thinking ... if I was riding a $500 bike and broke it beyond repair, I'd want a new $$$couplethousand bike too!
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby galaxydean » June 24th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Are you guys saying I was ripped off by paying 800 for an 05 Rockhopper Comp w/ XT. I don't think so.
dean
galaxydean

Postby c0nsumer » June 24th, 2013, 2:26 pm

I am saying that a drop-in replacement for an eight year old 26" frame won't cost you much.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby galaxydean » June 24th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Thanks! don't mean to sound like I'm arguing. Of course you're right. Just hoping I don't have to put any $ into a bike frame with a lifetime warranty.
dean
galaxydean

Postby Critter7r » June 24th, 2013, 3:27 pm

galaxydean wrote:Are you guys saying I was ripped off by paying 800 for an 05 Rockhopper Comp w/ XT. I don't think so.

Bikepedia has the Comp at MSRP of $800 and the Comp Disc at MSRP of $900.

My LBS treats me pretty well because I've bought 3 bikes and all my (ok, most of my) gear from them. I bought a year-and-a-half old brand new bike for the wife from my LBS and got $400 off of the $1100 MSRP.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby xcrdr » June 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Most companies wouldn't replace that frame. It's not a warranty issue. It was an accident.The good thing is Specialized has replaced alot of frames that were broken by other than warranty related issues. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

2008 Redline d660 1X9
2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby vette-ss » June 25th, 2013, 7:45 am

Shipping seems excessive since its only a frame....I've paid less for an entire bike. But regardless, here's an upgrade frame size L:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-Roc ... _91wt_1058

There's older stuff out there for less.
vette-ss

Postby galaxydean » June 25th, 2013, 9:04 am

vette-ss wrote:Shipping seems excessive since its only a frame....I've paid less for an entire bike. But regardless, here's an upgrade frame size L:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-Roc ... _91wt_1058

There's older stuff out there for less.

Thanks vette. the shipping charges are crazy! Sweet looking frame though.
dean
galaxydean

Postby bikerector » June 25th, 2013, 9:32 am

Agree with others, frames can be had pretty reasonably. They're all over ebay or online. If you're really short or really tall, you're in even better because it seems like small and really large frames are always on closeout.

Think positive, breaking parts is a good excuse to upgrade. It's justified upgrading that way.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby gossamer » June 25th, 2013, 9:43 am

I have an 05 S-works M5 frame for sale, it is a size large and is in great shape, asking $220 for the frame it is either disc or rim brake compatable.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption
http://www.fraserbicycle.com
gossamer

Location: Smack dab in the middle of nowhere, just a little farther than somewhere

Postby bikerector » June 25th, 2013, 11:19 am

"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques