Experience with IZip bikes?

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Experience with IZip bikes?

Postby kTc » June 20th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Does anybody know anything about these things?

battery life expectancy?
battery life?
durability?
range?

...anything? ...anything, besides how ridiculously expensive they are?
kTc

Re: Experience with IZip bikes?

Postby rvd » June 21st, 2013, 11:36 am

kTc wrote:...anything, besides how ridiculously expensive they are?

They cost $1299. Doesn't sound ridiculous to me.

In recent years, electric-assist bikes have become very popular in the low countries, so I decided to look up some recent test results.

All 5-star electric bikes are 2500 euros and over. Not a single electric bike under 1499 euros even made it into the test.
The first entry under 4 star bikes is: "Cheap bike with nice central motor. Parts are basic and frame lacks rigidity. 1999 euro" :lol:

(edit: need a new truck? http://www.gizmag.com/urban-arrow-electric-cargo-bicycle/23867/)
rvd

Re: Experience with IZip bikes?

Postby Dirtdevil » June 23rd, 2013, 8:29 am

I have an Izip & a EG Oahu electric bikes. The Izip was $800, the EG $1650. They both have pedal assist which, when switched on, makes it feel like you always have a wind at your back. Both also have the option of throttle-only (think moped) or you can completely turn the motor off & pedal.

The Izip has a smaller battery (hence the cheaper price) but I can get up to 18-20 miles w/pedal asst. nice for buzzing around town or to the store or pub. The EG is the Cadillac of bikes. You can get up to 25 miles in the low pedal asst setting; 12-18 at the medium setting; 8-12 with no pedaling. It also can cruise up to 28-30 mph depending on rider weight. It's a powerful, fun machine!

My hubby & I will cruise to lunch or stop at a craft brewery & bring the charger & plug er in if we're far from home to assure we'll make it back without running out of battery on the EG. The Izip is easy to pedal by itself, but the EG is a slug due to its size & weight.

We really enjoy them & if I had to do it over, I'd buy myself the EG for the faster speeds & increased fun factor. We've been seeing more & more electric bikes on the roads lately. Schwinn makes them now too & someone said they bought their Izip at Walmart, of all places!

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques