Fox f29 36 rl 100mm fork problems...

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Fox f29 36 rl 100mm fork problems...

Postby KLydesdale » June 28th, 2013, 9:13 am

Roy wrote:Hitting trees is never fun. It is never the tree's fault and usually not the bike's fault. It might or could be a Fox's fork fault if it broke just before you lose control.
If you bottom out a fork, it will recoil and you better be ready for that recoil. If you over dampen recoil the fork will stack and stop working.

Personally, I think the fact that stuntbikejustin grabbed a handful of rear brake but never touched the front lever had just as much to do with him hitting that tree as anything the fork did. Most experienced MTBers know that braking only with with the rear on a downhill gives you very limited stopping power and greatly reduced directional control.
Last edited by KLydesdale on June 28th, 2013, 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KLydesdale

Postby xcrdr » June 28th, 2013, 9:24 am

KLydesdale wrote:
Roy wrote:Hitting trees is never fun. It is never the tree's fault and usually not the bike's fault. It might or could be a Fox's fork fault if it broke just before you lose control.
If you bottom out a fork, it will recoil and you better be ready for that recoil. If you over dampen recoil the fork will stack and stop working.

Personally, I think the fact that stuntbikejustin grabbed a handful of rear brake but never touched the front lever had just as much to with him hitting that tree than anything the fork did. Most experienced MTBers know that braking only with with the rear on a downhill gives you very limted stopping power and greatly reduced directional control.

The video evidence confirmes this. I'm sure the trailbed looked sweet after this one.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

2008 Redline d660 1X9
2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby stuntbikejustin » June 29th, 2013, 9:31 am

the crash wasnt the forks fault. i over corrected n landed on the outside slope of the trail. the only braking was an oh *beep* im gonna crash front and rear before i hit. otherwise i dont brake unless theres a corner... (that i skid around) and yeah i skid all over do burnouts n wheelies. Dont cry its just dirt.
stuntbikejustin

Previous

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques