Fox f29 36 rl 100mm fork problems...

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Fox f29 36 rl 100mm fork problems...

Postby bergsteiger » June 20th, 2013, 6:54 am

Sounds like at this point it is playing with oil weights, or reading up on shim stack changes to up the compression damping. Finding a damper from an RLC is also a possibility, unsure if they just drop right in or if any other mods are required though.

Trying lower pressures is a good idea as well, 75 to 110 is quite the jump. In the end it may be a little from both columns gets you to a happy point.
bergsteiger

Postby xcrdr » June 20th, 2013, 7:30 am

I have the same issues with my F29. I like it. It's plush and saves my ass once in a while. I think I am going to try a different weight oil for the fun of it. I've had some decent luck before tuning with oil.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby c0nsumer » June 20th, 2013, 7:50 am

bergsteiger wrote:Sounds like at this point it is playing with oil weights, or reading up on shim stack changes to up the compression damping. Finding a damper from an RLC is also a possibility, unsure if they just drop right in or if any other mods are required though.

Fox will sell the damper, and I'm pretty sure it just drops in.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » June 20th, 2013, 7:55 am

c0nsumer wrote:
bergsteiger wrote:Sounds like at this point it is playing with oil weights, or reading up on shim stack changes to up the compression damping. Finding a damper from an RLC is also a possibility, unsure if they just drop right in or if any other mods are required though.

Fox will sell the damper, and I'm pretty sure it just drops in.

EDIT: Adding this, which is from an IM conversation with a friend:

(8:54:22 AM) Steve Vigneau: i pretty confident that the F29 (non-FIT non-CTD) R/RL/RLC was only one design, and they didn't change it up between years
(8:54:40 AM) Steve Vigneau: i looked into it a bunch when i thought my el mariachi ti was coming with an RL because i wanted to throw an RLC damper in it
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby meangreen » June 20th, 2013, 8:47 am

Great site with lots of info on suspension oil viscosity vs. weight etc.

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

The viscosity chart has saved me some cash since most suspension manufacturers etc. buy from larger oil manufacturers and jack up the price accordingly.
meangreen

Postby stuntbikejustin » June 22nd, 2013, 2:26 am

welp it was working good till i smoked this tree on torn shirt , heres the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5eV5HkP ... e=youtu.be
stuntbikejustin

Postby c0nsumer » June 22nd, 2013, 5:58 am

stuntbikejustin wrote:welp it was working good till i smoked this tree on torn shirt , heres the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5eV5HkP ... e=youtu.be

Looks like it's working the same after as it was before. Crashing like that isn't conducive to long part life, though.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby iamkickstand » June 22nd, 2013, 7:49 am

"no i am not going to wear a helmet" :lol:

I am extremely smart, I just ran into a tree head on, but I'm not going to wear a helmet so don't bother saying anything. Hahaha, at least you know you're stupid.
iamkickstand

Postby Critter7r » June 22nd, 2013, 8:39 am

SBJ: Next time you do a cratch-shot with a Go-Pro (or whatever), don't wear baggy shorts. Most annoying camera placement location ever, second only to the chest mount.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby AllMountin' » June 22nd, 2013, 10:27 am

Critter7r wrote:Most annoying camera placement location ever, second only to the chest mount.

Why the chest mount hate? Better than the spaztastic bar mount, or even the helmet mount, which gives no frame of reference. Every POV mount for a bike is flawed.

At least the chest mount gives some indication of what the bike/rider is doing, and a decent shot of the trail as well.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby stuntbikejustin » June 22nd, 2013, 10:41 am

if you read statistics bicycle helmets are terribly ineffective. and i didnt hurt my head i dodged the tree with my noggin.. helmets are however VERY effective inside a vehicle... and im sure u drive more than bike. so wear one in your car then u can yell at me helmet nazi haha anyway the camera mount was for the rear view.. wasnt planning on getting passed... but i figured i would try it.. and im glad i caught some fun stuff... literally the first mountain bike movie i ever did...
stuntbikejustin

Postby Critter7r » June 23rd, 2013, 1:51 pm

AllMountin' wrote:
Critter7r wrote:Most annoying camera placement location ever, second only to the chest mount.

Why the chest mount hate? Better than the spaztastic bar mount, or even the helmet mount, which gives no frame of reference. Every POV mount for a bike is flawed.

At least the chest mount gives some indication of what the bike/rider is doing, and a decent shot of the trail as well.

Fork mount and lower frame side-mount are my favorite placements. The chest mount makes the riders arms look 6 feet long ... it kinda weirds me out.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby iamkickstand » June 27th, 2013, 10:07 pm

stuntbikejustin wrote:if you read statistics bicycle helmets are terribly ineffective. and i didnt hurt my head i dodged the tree with my noggin.. helmets are however VERY effective inside a vehicle... and im sure u drive more than bike. so wear one in your car then u can yell at me helmet nazi haha anyway the camera mount was for the rear view.. wasnt planning on getting passed... but i figured i would try it.. and im glad i caught some fun stuff... literally the first mountain bike movie i ever did...

i'm nop helmet nazi, I just find it ironic you run right into a tree but think you're invinceable enough to not wear a helmet.

I couldn't care less if you wear a helmet or not, just don't ever expect me to call 911 or help you off the trail next time you run into a tree.
iamkickstand

Postby Critter7r » June 28th, 2013, 7:28 am

That's kinda *beep* of you.

So it's "Hey come help this guy and call 911 'cuz he's wearing a helmet, hit a tree and he's unconscious", yet it's "awww *beep*, just ride right past this guy that hit a tree and is unconscious, 'cuz he's not wearing a helmet".

I'm no helmet nazi either, but I'd stop and help someone that knocked themselves out by hitting a tree, even if they weren't wearing a helmet.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Roy » June 28th, 2013, 8:26 am

Hitting trees is never fun. It is never the tree's fault and usually not the bike's fault. It might or could be a Fox's fork fault if it broke just before you lose control.
If you bottom out a fork, it will recoil and you better be ready for that recoil. If you over dampen recoil the fork will stack and stop working.
Forks could be engineered to have a constant compression rate. But that would take you take right up the end of travel and BAM.
Before you start changing things return the fork to Fox have it checked. If there is something wrong inside, Fox is best equipped to find the problem. If there is something wrong inside, any change will be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Helment or no helmet I think we would all call 911 or the Coroner.

Roy
Roy

PreviousNext

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques