MTB trip to UP... need advice

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

MTB trip to UP... need advice

Postby Davemtbkayak » June 15th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Hi guys. I've got an 8 night trip planned to the UP this August w/ the focus on mtn biking but I'll be doing a lot of hiking and a little kayaking as well. I'll be staying in 3 locations and taking side trips from there: Munising, Silver City (Porcupine Mtns) and Copper Harbor. Right now I have 3 main trails planned: Marquette South Trails, Houghton Trails and CH trails. I think there is some easy ridding through the Porcupine Mtns that I may do as well.

Any and all suggestions, tips, or advice for the trails and/or other trails I should hit would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to MI and I'm doing the trip solo (well... my 3 dogs are going along as well.... great hiking partners!). :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone! Happy Trails!

Dave
Davemtbkayak

Re: MTB trip to UP... need advice

Postby TheyCallMeBruce » June 16th, 2013, 8:20 am

You should consider hitting up the Michigan Tech trails while you're in Houghton as well as the trails on the Hancock side (Maasto Hiihto and Churning Rapids). Other than that, sounds like you're hitting the best of the UP trails. There are other worthy trails, but you can probably spend a couple days each at those three and not get bored. Bring bug repellant!
TheyCallMeBruce

Postby selma757575 » June 16th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Swede town is also right there!
selma757575

Postby jfactor! » June 17th, 2013, 7:18 am

There's a new flow trail in the Maasto Hiihto/Churning Rapids system that I'm dying to check out.
jfactor!

Postby bleve » June 18th, 2013, 1:21 am

If you're staying in Munising, drop a couple miles south and ride Bruno's Run - one of my favorite rides in all of the state. Some great scenery riding past lakes and along rivers. Last fall I did a similar trip and this is one of the trails my dog came along with me on since I knew I wouldn't run into anyone except at Pete's Lake campground. I also wish I had found more time for the MI Tech trails in Houghton but I got started late and flushed out by darkness and a looming thunderstorm. It's got some interesting man made features, not the natural beauty of other UP trails.

I take it you're doing some hiking at the Porcupine Mountains? Stash your bike in the woods at the Lake of the Clouds parking lot then drive back to just past a little mine I think it is where a trail cuts over to the Escarpment Trail. Hike the Escarpment Trail to Lake of the Clouds and just roll back to your car (mid 30's with very little pedaling on the downhills). Dogs are allowed in Porkies so they could hike with you, you just need to figure out how to get them back to the car - maybe find someone in the parking lot to hold onto them for the 10-15 minutes it takes to get the car.
bleve

Postby Davemtbkayak » June 23rd, 2013, 9:01 pm

Thanks for all the advice- definitely adding the info to my notes. Sounds great. Thanks!

Dave
Davemtbkayak

Postby GHamilton » June 24th, 2013, 10:44 am

If you're there in August you should do this http://oretoshore.com It would be a shame to be there and not participate.

Gordon
GHamilton

Postby acidtattoo » June 24th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Stop and refuel at the Brownstone Inn in Au Train - awesome food!
acidtattoo

Postby jfactor! » June 25th, 2013, 11:40 am

Be sure to get a sweet roll from the Hilltop in L'anse. *beep* near 1 pound of diabetes inducing goodness!!!

For a great breakfast hit up the Suomi Home Kitchen in Houghton for some authentic Finnish goodies. It's THE place to get pannukakku and niisu bread.
jfactor!

Postby GorillaCookies » June 25th, 2013, 2:28 pm

In Copper Harbor you will have lost if you don't get the marinaded trout at the Harbor Haus.
It’s a Sledgehammer
GorillaCookies

Postby scat silvurz » June 25th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby dirt » June 25th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Jam Pot.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby jfactor! » June 26th, 2013, 8:10 am

dirt wrote:Jam Pot.

^THIS!!!!

Get some Thimbleberry jam. It's pretty expensive, but completely worth it.
jfactor!

Postby bergsteiger » June 26th, 2013, 11:18 am

jfactor! wrote:
dirt wrote:Jam Pot.

^THIS!!!!

Get some Thimbleberry jam. It's pretty expensive, but completely worth it.

so much good stuff at the Jam Pot. I have a love of the peanut butter jelly bars (a peanut butter cloclate chip bar with lines of jam baked inthe top). The Muffins are a close second, to hard to decide between the apricot, cream cheese or chocolate

For thimble berry Jam in Eagle River there is a place to get Jam there as well, the prices were good too. it was a house right on 26 across from the courthouse.
I want to say the Jam Lady, but I am not 100% on that name.
bergsteiger

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques