Calling all Gurus I have a HR question

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Calling all Gurus I have a HR question

Postby Roy » June 13th, 2013, 1:38 pm

I confused Lactate Threshold with Anaerobic threshold. Lactate threshold occurs before the anaerobic threshold. LH is the start of the build up of lactic acid and fatigue.
3 phases of fatigue:
1. start to build up lactic acid in the blood
2. start to convert sugars to energy without using oxygen
3. use the last of stored chemical energy

How much of your ride should be spent in these phase of fatigue?

Roy
Roy

Postby okeja » June 14th, 2013, 11:10 am

Wow! I am no guru, but I learned something from this thread.

FWIW - I am roughly same age & weight as the OP (but shorter) and my resting rate is ~63.
I used a HR in mid-90s and seem to remember numbers in the mid 170s ...but really not too sure.
Maybe time to pull that old monitor out of the bin and play.
okeja

Postby fizgig » July 15th, 2013, 3:46 pm

I hit max heart rate (185ish) all the time... I need to get in better shape.
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby rockyrunner99 » August 11th, 2013, 11:25 am

Sorry if this is hijacking...

I have a friend I run with occasionally, She doesn't run much on her own, she does a spin class and other workouts. When we run she wears a HRM cause her heart rate gets really high, around 190 frequently, yet she doesn't seem that stressed, her breathing is elevated but not to the point where it seems she is struggling. I have never paid attention to my hart rate, I just push myself. It seems weird to me when she has to let up cause her hart rate monitor tells her too yet she doesn't seem stressed. She has used multiple HRM so I don't really think there is an issue with it. Oh also her reesting HR is around 90-100.
rockyrunner99

Postby b_b » August 11th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Wow 90-100 RHR seems pretty high. I need HR for dummies. How does one determine LTHR? What relative range should we try to stay in for sustained high effort but not over do it?
b_b

Postby bikerector » August 11th, 2013, 4:25 pm

90-100 BPM is pretty high, but some people just have high HR's. I have a friend who has allergies who is always recovering from some bodily ailment and his HR is always really high. I think his typical riding HR is in the 180's and he has a max in the 200's. I find that insane because if I hit 180-ish I'm dying, but that's because HR is different for everyone.

Finding LTHR is basically finding what you can hold for an hour maxed out. Do a good warm-up and then do a 20 minute TT effort. Multiply by your average HR for the 20 minute by 0.95 and you have you're LTHR. Or if you can stomach it, do a 1-hour TT effort and see what your average HR is for the 1-hour.

Threshold zone is your 1-hour of power zone, if you're only riding for and hour, that's your max zone. If you're riging less, you'll have a slightly higher HR in that zone or go up one zone. If you are going longer, better to stay below the threshold zone into endurance (long distance riding, 3 hours or more max pacing) or tempo (hard endurance at just sub-threshold, 2-3 hour hard effort rides).

If you're mountain bike it gets harder to use HR as a constant gauge because there's many micro efforts that are never logged by an HR monitor since they start and end before your HR changes. That's when power meters come in handy, but that's a whole different scenario.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Previous

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques