Replace Hydro Brake Levers

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Replace Hydro Brake Levers

Postby davedejonge » June 11th, 2013, 1:34 pm

Hey all,

I have some perfectly functional Hayes Hydro Brakes on my 01 NRS They are pretty old, but work fine.
The issue is that the lever on the right side is cracked. Specifically the cast aluminum that holds the pivot pin the lever moves on is cracked.
If I keep using them and pull the handle hard, the pin will pop free and I will lose my back brake.

Can I replace the lever and master cylinder? with another model of brake? IE do most levers have similar sizes as far as amount of brake fluid moved to the caliper?

Secondarily, it looks like a pretty easy job, just unscrew the brake line with a wrench and screw on the new levers and then fill and bleed the lines.
any special fittings or ??
maybe some Teflon tape on the threads to prevent leaks?

Thanks

Dave
davedejonge

Re: Replace Hydro Brake Levers

Postby b_b » June 12th, 2013, 11:21 am

I really don't know, but I'd just replace the cylinder and caliper set since they're engineered to work together and I doubt it will cost that much more to replace both vs buying the cylinder/lever and possibly having to jerry-rig a hose and then not being sure they'll work properly. You can probably re-use your rotor.
b_b

Postby 300hp » June 13th, 2013, 10:44 am

are these on a set of hayes 9 or hfx mag brakes? If so, it happens to alot of them. I ran a set with a zip tie around it to keep the lever from popping out for over a year without any problems.

Most of the hayes levers and pistons are cross-compatible....so if you found a trashed stroker, you could put the lever on your caliper. but this is all alot of work for old brakes :)
300hp

Postby davedejonge » June 13th, 2013, 12:25 pm

They don't even have any identification on them other than "hayes" they came from an 01Giant NRS XTC - Bikepedia just says Hayes Hydraulic Brakes... no model or anything...
so, I'm not sure.

A guy on the classifieds had a set of 9's for a good price so I'm just going to replace.

Thanks all.

Dave
davedejonge

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques