Hub choice

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Hub choice

Postby Jeffreykdc » June 10th, 2013, 5:50 pm

I've got some loud hubs and as mentioned they're not loud if you keep pedaling and also great for letting people know someone is coasting behind them. More often than not I don't need to say a word other than thanks.

I totally agree. As I'm approaching someone I just let off the crank and bam they move over it is cool. They are loud though. The kings sound like a bunch of bees. the hopes are different.
If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Jeffreykdc

Postby BK big fish » June 10th, 2013, 6:03 pm

This happened to me! I heard him,pulled off and then he was in my way! But he couldn't hear me. I do a lot of riding, 4,000-5,000 miles a year and don't want to regret the loud hubs! Thanks for the input, going to try and hear the hopes on the trail before I decide. Billy.
BK big fish

Postby bergsteiger » June 10th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Out of those I would vote for hope, I have a set and the rear is loud and I use it as a warning on paths. One bonus is front and rear can be converted to any of the current hub standards.
The Stan's would be fine as well. Unsure about how convertible they are, but something to look into.

To the one random question on the DT Swiss 350, yep same internals as the 240, but with a less finished and not made in Switzerland shell. The set of wheels I got for my wife's bike is Stan's arch Ex rims, a hope front and a DT Swiss 350 rear hub.
bergsteiger

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques