Hub choice

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Hub choice

Postby BK big fish » June 10th, 2013, 10:18 am

I am looking to buy a set of Arch EX 29ers, and need advice on hubs! either Hope, XTR, or Stans 3.3. I am worried about the sound level of the hopes, anyone use hopes? and yes, I looked on youtube for the sound of Hopes. I have looked at reviews of all the hubs and no major issues with the hubs. Anyone have any advice? I don't think anyone is usuing the Hopes on the Wednesday Stony rides. Thanks, Billy.
BK big fish

Re: Hub choice

Postby honkonbobo » June 10th, 2013, 10:57 am

most will say quality for the $ spent favours hope of the three you mentioned. you can open the hopes up and quiet them down by adding more/thicker grease if the sound is a problem.
honkonbobo

Postby amadkins » June 10th, 2013, 11:05 am

A vote for hopes here. I've had two sets, and the noise is not that much of an issue - about halfway between DT and king hubs. They are durable, easy to maintain, and they offer easy conversion options for various axle configurations.
amadkins

Postby TenSpeed » June 10th, 2013, 11:54 am

Hope Pro II's here, and they are loud! These click, which is not how the Kings sound at all. They are more of a buzz. The Hopes are a lot like the DT Swiss 240 hubs, which are also loud.
Ride. 48:15
2014 miles/goal: 2476/2500
TenSpeed

Postby iamkickstand » June 10th, 2013, 12:17 pm

I have some hopes on my DH bike, they remind me I should be pedaling.

I can't much hear them with a full face helmet on. With a regular helmet on they are loud.
iamkickstand

Postby balexander87 » June 10th, 2013, 12:38 pm

I'll apologize in advance if this is too far off the OP's main topic, but is there a reason the DT 350s don't have more of a following? Same internals as the 240s, just with a slightly heavier housing, right?
balexander87

Postby barroo » June 10th, 2013, 12:40 pm

BK, I was at the Wednesday night ride last week and have them. Not sure if you were there but I was on the blue El Mar SS. I will try to make it again this week.
I have been on the same set of Hope Pro 2 hubs for 4+ years and have had no problems, and I'm not a small guy.
"I leave the symbols to the symbol minded" - George Carlin
barroo

Postby b_b » June 10th, 2013, 1:24 pm

I've got some loud hubs and as mentioned they're not loud if you keep pedaling and also great for letting people know someone is coasting behind them. More often than not I don't need to say a word other than thanks.
b_b

Postby ibisman » June 10th, 2013, 4:24 pm

WTB Laser disc lite. Way cheaper than Hope hubs and also lighter too. I have used them on my Giant Reignsince '05 and have no problems. I just bought a PAIR front and rear , 32 hole for $105.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,954.9 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1531.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby Jeffreykdc » June 10th, 2013, 5:50 pm

I've got some loud hubs and as mentioned they're not loud if you keep pedaling and also great for letting people know someone is coasting behind them. More often than not I don't need to say a word other than thanks.

I totally agree. As I'm approaching someone I just let off the crank and bam they move over it is cool. They are loud though. The kings sound like a bunch of bees. the hopes are different.
If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Jeffreykdc

Postby BK big fish » June 10th, 2013, 6:03 pm

This happened to me! I heard him,pulled off and then he was in my way! But he couldn't hear me. I do a lot of riding, 4,000-5,000 miles a year and don't want to regret the loud hubs! Thanks for the input, going to try and hear the hopes on the trail before I decide. Billy.
BK big fish

Postby bergsteiger » June 10th, 2013, 6:55 pm

Out of those I would vote for hope, I have a set and the rear is loud and I use it as a warning on paths. One bonus is front and rear can be converted to any of the current hub standards.
The Stan's would be fine as well. Unsure about how convertible they are, but something to look into.

To the one random question on the DT Swiss 350, yep same internals as the 240, but with a less finished and not made in Switzerland shell. The set of wheels I got for my wife's bike is Stan's arch Ex rims, a hope front and a DT Swiss 350 rear hub.
bergsteiger

Postby bikerector » June 10th, 2013, 9:11 pm

I'll throw one in there for shimano. I haven't used the others but he shimano hubs are quite durable and roll well. They're also quiet. Some people don't care for the lack a high number of points of engagements, I've never noticed but I've never had one with a high number of points of engagement either. Shimano hubs are a bit heavy but a heavy hub is less of a concern than a heavy rim or tire since it's close to the axis of rotation, thus, easier to spin up.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby iamkickstand » June 11th, 2013, 8:07 am

bikerector wrote:I'll throw one in there for shimano. I haven't used the others but he shimano hubs are quite durable and roll well. They're also quiet. Some people don't care for the lack a high number of points of engagements, I've never noticed but I've never had one with a high number of points of engagement either. Shimano hubs are a bit heavy but a heavy hub is less of a concern than a heavy rim or tire since it's close to the axis of rotation, thus, easier to spin up.

I am noticing more and more how I wish my hubs had more engagement.

I don't know what my hope rear hub is, but I wish it had more engagement. And thats on a DH bike where you aren't pedaling as often.

I REALLY notice it on my cross country bike.

I think its one of those things that you don't notice unless you have been exposed to high engagement hubs, or, if you are thinking about it while you're out riding.
iamkickstand

Postby meangreen » June 11th, 2013, 8:53 am

Are these for SS wheels? I don't have any personal experience with the Hopes, but I would lean towards higher engagement. Going from 18 to 36 POE (DT 240S w/upgraded star ratchet) on my Single speed made a big difference on technical climbs where quick response can help you muscle over rocks/roots etc.
meangreen

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques