Bike shifter modification needed

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Bike shifter modification needed

Postby OutlawBiker » June 7th, 2013, 9:16 pm

I'm looking for some advice and help for my son's bike. He was born with a hand disability and does not have use of his left hand thumb. He's beginning to mountain bike with me, but cannot shift the front derailer as his thumb has no strength ( he was born without a thumb joint, muscle or tenden in his thumb). any suggestions for a shifter modification would be appreciated. thank you!
OutlawBiker

Re: Bike shifter modification needed

Postby c0nsumer » June 7th, 2013, 10:15 pm

A twist shifter should do nicely. These are off the shelf parts and any bike shop can set you up with them.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby barrybs » June 7th, 2013, 11:02 pm

Here's a link to a photo: http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-c ... ison03.jpg
The inboard portion of the grip rotates to actuate the front derailleur.
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » June 8th, 2013, 6:44 am

If he can't even twist with the left you could try a twist shifter and thumb shifter on the right side.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby ibisman » June 8th, 2013, 6:48 am

Or...eliminate the left shifter altogether and run 1x9
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,934.9 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1511.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby Critter7r » June 8th, 2013, 8:07 am

I don't have any more ideas than wha't been mentioned, but holy cow, that must be tough for him to hold onto the handlegrip without use of his thumb! Kudos to him for his tenacity.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby b_b » June 8th, 2013, 10:21 am

ibisman wrote:Or...eliminate the left shifter altogether and run 1x9

+1 hardley need more in se mi and might make him a stronger rider. My kid has 1x1 and does surprisingly well. He has to walk some hills but no biggie.
b_b

Postby OutlawBiker » June 8th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Thank you all for your responses. He has a grip shifter on the left side and trigger shifter on the right. He can't turn the grip shifter as he can't grasp it tight enough without the thumb muscle. I will discuss with the bike shop though putting the grip and trigger shifters both on the right side. I never thought of that!
OutlawBiker

Postby deuxdiesel » June 9th, 2013, 5:42 am

Another option is to use a "Thumbie" shifter, which is a road bar-end shifter set up on a flat bar mount. A little pricey, but very durable and can be shifted by pushing with the palm or heel of your hand and pulled back with finger tips.
deuxdiesel

Postby Redstone Liger » June 9th, 2013, 5:51 am

Not sure what your budget is for this, but I have shimano dual control shifters with the hydro breaks and they worked great when I injured my thumb.
Scott

“All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.”
Gordie Howe
Redstone Liger

Postby Roy » June 9th, 2013, 8:04 am

You could mount an old 10 speed friction lever. The Front shifters usually don't get much use.
Double grip shifts might require a longer right side brake handle.
If you go this route consider mounting the front shifter inside and increasing its diameter. Two diameters would make easier shift the inside shifter and not shift the out side shifter.
Check useable bar length.

Another option, rotate a left side click shifter so that the push direction could be done with the palm or the pad under the thumb or a push with the fingers. You might find that sweet spot.
Maybe a the push lever of a click shifter could be extended so that he could push it with a twist of his palm. (when mounted in normal position)
The Shimano dual control shifters (described above) have a removable lower lever. This would allow for a custom push lever to be designed. ( this system may not be made any more - mine is reverse pull and new reverse pull derailluers are not available )

I would be a little careful using grip shifters. The twisting action can strain the tendons over long term. I would consult a sports doctor before possible overloading the right hand. That right had will be doing double work for the next 70 or 80 years.
There are electric shifters made. It might take some looking to find one. The front would be fairly easy to make your self. A trip the the Radio Control store might yield the parts. How cool would a push button electric shift be?
Make contact with Shimano - they might want to help. It is worth a try.

Roy
Roy

Postby TenSpeed » June 9th, 2013, 10:50 am

ibisman wrote:Or...eliminate the left shifter altogether and run 1x9

I would think that this would be the easiest modification to do. Currently running a 2x9 on my bike, and it might as well be a 1x9 because I never seem to use the granny gear.
Ride. 48:15
2014 miles/goal: 2406/2500
TenSpeed

Postby bikerector » June 9th, 2013, 11:39 pm

If you can find one of these, they don't require a thumb. Pull the lever in for the brake, push it down to pull cable (up shift) and flip it up to release cable (down shift). The thumb buttons are on there to push the lever up for extra convenience. It's a 3x9 XT shifter from a while back, I found it on ebay for about $40 a year or so ago.

Looks like they're called dual control levers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-XT-Dual ... 19dd2353c0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-Deore-X ... 3f25381848

Here's a link to my shifters on my bike on facebook. I couldn't get them cropped down to fit well into the forum. Let me know if you can't see them. There's 4 in the album: wide view of shifters, side view, actuating down, actuating up.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201332560541264&set=pcb.10201332560781270&type=1&theater

The thumb button unscrews to come off as it's not required, tried it that way for a while but it was just too nice to have both options.

Not sure where you're located, if you're around Holland, MI I could show them to you sometime to see if they would work.

Otherwise, 1x9/10 seems like a good option.

Edit: Just realized this is what Redstone Liger mentioned.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby bikerector » June 9th, 2013, 11:48 pm

Wonder if one of these could be used on their with some fancy mechanic work.

http://retroshift.com/
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby okeja » June 10th, 2013, 8:05 am

Like mentioned ...an old school thumb shifter might work as he could push it with his palm. Maybe even rotate it far enough forward that he could shift with fingers only.

Perhaps even something like this on the twist shifter could help get the leverage needed to shift

Good on you both for taking this on.
okeja

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques