Sram 2x10 shifters

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Sram 2x10 shifters

Postby dcberti » May 31st, 2013, 10:18 pm

Does anyone have an informed opinion on SRAM 2x10 shifters? I'd like to know where there is a significant improvement from one level to another.

I ask because I was tuning up my old bike that has Shimano XT shifter/brake combo pods and they shift so much nicer than the X7 shifters on my new bike.

Also, I bought an XO rear derailleur to replace my OEM X7 just because I thought it would be so much better. I didn't have long to test that theory because it was damaged in a crash. But as far as I can tell, the new X9 I repaced it with is essentially the same part. In this case I feel like I wasted my money getting XO vs. X9 (both type 2) and want to avoid paying a lot more money for very little improvement. Is there a significant improvement between X7 and X9 shifters? XO? Thanks,

Dave
dcberti

Re: Sram 2x10 shifters

Postby gearswhatgears » June 1st, 2013, 5:52 am

I have X9 on one bike, and X0 on the other and couldn't tell you which one was which.... Think the XO has some rear or position adjustment? Not sure, check the site. If so I have never messed with it. I notice no difference in performance from one to the next.
gearswhatgears

Postby Nooge » June 1st, 2013, 9:31 am

THe main difference is how precise the lever travel is. SRAM has a name for the technology (Zero Loss), but basically the X7 have a lot of play in the lever before it start to shift. The X9 and XO don't. However, SRAM just announced they are bringing that tech to X7 as well, apparently starting now. So for the newest shifters the breakdown is like this:

X7 - zero loss, easy cable change, MMX (one clamp for shifter and brake) compatible
X9 - same as X7 minus easy cable change, plus ball bearings, lighter
X0 - same as X9 plus adjustable lever pull, multiple colors, lighter

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/05/23/sra ... erailleur/

Personally, I have older X7 shifters and I miss having the Zero Loss. If I was buying again, the newest X7 would be perfect.

I don't know how you will be sure you get the newest X7 though. You will have to do your research.
Nooge

Postby bikerector » June 2nd, 2013, 4:24 pm

For parts such as that, there will be minimal improvement. I usually only upgrade when parts break, that way the cost difference isn't as significant.

I've heard most people say, for sram anyway, that the shifters all perform about the same through the levels. Some of the differences will be small like forged metal versus stamped, forged being stronger and lighter but more costly to make. For road shifters, often it is something as simple as a bearing in place of a bushing, you may never wear down the bushing so you'll really never wear down the bearing.

It may simply come down to one set of shifters will last longer than another, but they will feel the same until one fails, if it ever does.

Such is the economics of diminishing returns of getting the higher-tiered products.

Zero loss won't be noticed unless you've had it before. It has a better feel to it, in my opinion. I personally like shimano shifting better for mtb, but that's not the question asked.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby dcberti » June 2nd, 2013, 4:46 pm

Great responses! Very informative, thank you!
dcberti

Postby iamkickstand » June 2nd, 2013, 8:08 pm

There are some slight difference in both the shifters and the derailluers, but "most" won't realize the difference for the price.

The x0 shifter lever can be indexed to be mroe comfortable, a neat feature, also uses more aluminum and less plastic compared to a 7 or 9.

Same ith the rear derailluer the x0 uses a bit more aluminum/machining/precision than the x9/x7.

On that note, I run x7 shifters and x9 derailluers because I got a crap ton cheap at one point for spares and I break a lot of both.
iamkickstand

Postby b_b » June 5th, 2013, 7:35 pm

I have xt and x9 and they seem very comparable.
b_b

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques