Elixir brake doesn't release

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Elixir brake doesn't release

Postby pharus » May 31st, 2013, 9:00 am

I put some Elixir 1 brakes on my bike over the winter, purchased at the mmba expo swap meet. There were take-offs from a new bike. I did have to shorten the tubes to fit my 26" bike, and I have bled the brakes repeatedly. The brakes work well, and the brake lever movement is tight and good. But occasionally, the front brake doesn't release the rotor completely after braking. So I will be riding along, and hearing some brake rub. I can flick the lever, or try a quick brake pull, but it won't go away right away. Some time later, a few minutes or so, it seems to go away on its own. Is there anything I can do about this?
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Re: Elixir brake doesn't release

Postby iamkickstand » May 31st, 2013, 10:23 am

sounds like the caliper is sticking for whatever reason. I have a juicy 5 where the piston seized in the caliper.

Rebuild kits are cheap (like $9 at pricepoint.com for the juicy 5 caliper kit), just order one up before the caliper and piston completely seize together like mine did. If it does completely seize, don't go all Big F Hammer on it like I did and ruin the caliper. Use some air fittings and put a little air into it and blow the piston out so you can rebuild the caliper.
iamkickstand

Postby thebrit007 » May 31st, 2013, 2:15 pm

my elixir 9's do the same thing. Just did a brake bleed and it seemed to of solved problem for now. I will routinely clean around piston with some rubbing alcohol, but from what I have heard this is a common problem.
thebrit007

Postby Hudnut » May 31st, 2013, 2:51 pm

mine were getting stuck at the lever. I found that the little rod that depresses the master cylinder had a bunch of crud in it. cleaned up everything and its been good.
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby pharus » May 31st, 2013, 3:06 pm

Hudnut wrote:mine were getting stuck at the lever. I found that the little rod that depresses the master cylinder had a bunch of crud in it. cleaned up everything and its been good.

Did that involve taking apart the whole lever mechanism? I don't think that's my issue, because the lever does pop back, but I might take a look anyway.

Thanks for the other suggestions too!
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby KLydesdale » May 31st, 2013, 6:07 pm

Do a search on sticky Elixir caliper here and you'll find some info on what I did to free up a piston that was hanging up.
KLydesdale

Postby Hudnut » May 31st, 2013, 6:47 pm

just the lever blade and reach adjust. no need to let out any fluid or bleed
Hudnut

Postby thebrit007 » June 3rd, 2013, 11:10 am

contact Avid, you probably need a new lever. I had the same problem on the rear brake lever and they replaced the lever for free. you may have to have lbs contact them and will of course need a new bleed when replaced.
thebrit007

Postby pharus » June 4th, 2013, 12:59 am

Ok now i'm screwed. I was cleaning around the piston, per previous posts, squeezing the lever, the piston pushing out. Then plunk, the piston falls completely out, followed by a torrent of DOT fluid, all over my wife's mom's hand knitted afghan, which i understand now had no business being anywhere near there in the first place.

So do i lube the piston and put it back in? No lube? Wouldnt that attract more grit? Do the face grooves need an orientation? What holds the fluid in anyway? How is it ever going to hold hydraulic pressure? How do i stop the death glares from my wife?
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby BForhan » June 4th, 2013, 3:46 am

pharus wrote:Ok now i'm screwed. I was cleaning around the piston, per previous posts, squeezing the lever, the piston pushing out. Then plunk, the piston falls completely out, followed by a torrent of DOT fluid, all over my wife's mom's hand knitted afghan, which i understand now had no business being anywhere near there in the first place.

So do i lube the piston and put it back in? No lube? Wouldnt that attract more grit? Do the face grooves need an orientation? What holds the fluid in anyway? How is it ever going to hold hydraulic pressure? How do i stop the death glares from my wife?

5 million dollar diamond ring just like Kobe did. :mrgreen:

Brian
BForhan

Postby Hudnut » June 4th, 2013, 5:39 am

the piston should be lubed with DOT fluid. did you also remove the snapring when cleaning the lever?
Page 12
Hudnut

Postby KLydesdale » June 4th, 2013, 8:22 am

pharus wrote:Ok now i'm screwed. I was cleaning around the piston, per previous posts, squeezing the lever, the piston pushing out. Then plunk, the piston falls completely out, followed by a torrent of DOT fluid, all over my wife's mom's hand knitted afghan, which i understand now had no business being anywhere near there in the first place.

Check the SRAM/AVID website for the service manual for those brakes. It'll show how to disassemble and reassemble the pistons.

Also, there's a helluva lot of info on MTBR about this too.
KLydesdale

Postby iamkickstand » June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am

slide the pistion back in, make sure the seals are in place and bleed.
iamkickstand

Postby Hudnut » June 4th, 2013, 12:51 pm

FYI, service manual is linked in my message a few posts up.
Hudnut

Postby pharus » June 4th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. The service manual was a great help. I'm happy to report that the brake seems to be back to normal now, after re-assembly and bleed. A trail ride will tell for sure, but seems good in my driveway.
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques