Bent Gears On My Cassette?

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Bent Gears On My Cassette?

Postby johanssont » May 29th, 2013, 12:26 pm

I busted a chain on Saturday and I think it bent my gears. I have a SRAM pg990 cassette and it looks like I might have bent the 15T cog. The bike still shifts but it makes some odd noises. Anybody have any experience straightening these out? It is a removable cog so I could replace it but have been unable to fins any replacements. Anybody have a used up pg-990 with the 11-13-15 gears that I could steal or buy if in good shape?

Thanks
Dirty Thirties
johanssont

Re: Bent Gears On My Cassette?

Postby Armada » May 29th, 2013, 3:14 pm

I've bent back a tooth before and continued to use it for a few hundred miles until my replacement came in. You could probably ride it for longer but I'd be afraid of having the tooth break off from being weak and, in turn, busting your chain.
Armada

Postby Roy » May 29th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Use a Dremel and grind the tooth off. The other 14 will carry the chain just fine. Just be easy on the up shifts.
Then buy a new part when convenient.

Roy
Roy

Postby Loren » May 29th, 2013, 6:04 pm

A good cog does not fear the hammer...

Loren

Postby iamkickstand » May 29th, 2013, 9:51 pm

I believe I have a sram 990 15t in the garage. It's in decent shape, yours for free if you want it.

I will double check in the morning, send me your address and I can mail it.
iamkickstand

Postby johanssont » May 30th, 2013, 6:20 am

Thanks everybody. Upon further inspection it is the 11t and 13t that are bent. I think I will go gorilla on it tonight and see if I can make it better but based on past performance I am assuming I will make it worse so I am looking for cogs. Thanks Kickstand, I would be happy to paypal or send some money. I live in Ferndale and ride Maybury, ILRA, Novi, Bloomer, and Addison so I could meet you at a local trailhead if that is convenient. I will PM my address if that is better for you.
Dirty Thirties
johanssont

Postby iamkickstand » May 30th, 2013, 9:21 am

johanssont wrote:Thanks everybody. Upon further inspection it is the 11t and 13t that are bent. I think I will go gorilla on it tonight and see if I can make it better but based on past performance I am assuming I will make it worse so I am looking for cogs. Thanks Kickstand, I would be happy to paypal or send some money. I live in Ferndale and ride Maybury, ILRA, Novi, Bloomer, and Addison so I could meet you at a local trailhead if that is convenient. I will PM my address if that is better for you.

:(

I ordered a new cassette this winter for a spare wheelset and it arrived with out the 11 and 13, so a new one was shipped. If it was indeed the 15t that was bent I could have sent you the whole top half of the cassette. The two you need are the two I never received. Sorry :(
iamkickstand

Postby johanssont » May 30th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Bummer, thanks for the try though. Next time I'll make sure I bend my 15t.
Dirty Thirties
johanssont

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques