Ride ride ride ....

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Ride ride ride ....

Postby bax » May 22nd, 2013, 7:26 pm

A little discloser here.I'm 49, been riding for 4 years now. I use to BMX "back in the day", mostly at Crossroads BMX - Friday and Saturday races. I have mountian bike raced couple times, beginer class and didn't do that well. I read the "mantra" here from time to time ride ride ride, but I have a few questions. How long - miles/time should you ride at a time? Days between rides? How do you ride? I sometimes try to maintain a specific average mphon one ride, or I will "cruze" the flat or downhill portions of a trail and stand on the pedals (out of saddle) crankin it up hills on another.I also change from stayin in the large ring on some rides, to middle ring on others. I would like to podium once in this class, maybe do the Iceman someday.... any tips would be appreciated.
bax

Re: Ride ride ride ....

Postby b_b » May 22nd, 2013, 8:24 pm

If I had the time I'd ride about 5 days a week 20-40 miles.
b_b

Postby Critter7r » May 22nd, 2013, 8:37 pm

I ride as much as possible, but always on both weekend days. When the days are long enough, i'll go for a short ride once or twice during the week after work. That said, I ride as fast as I can given the terrain. I ride dirt roads (1 mile or 7 miles each way, depending on which nearby trail I'm hitting) and I try to maintain at least 10mph (I don't have a speedo/odo, so I'm estimating my speed, but I'm always in the big ring up front on dirt roads). Then when I get to the trail, I ride that as fast as I can, too. If I'm breathing wicked hard, I'll coast down a hill or just climb that next hill instead of attacking it. It's a rare occasion that I go for a "casual" ride and usually that means riding with the family. oftentimes after riding with them, I'll hit a trail alone so I can burn off some energy, and feel like I went riding.

P.S. I'll be 40 this year and have been riding for about 15 years.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Dirtdevil » May 23rd, 2013, 5:40 am

What works for me is to set a weekly mileage goal of riding at least 100 miles a week. Doesn't matter what bike I Ride (road or mtn) or where I ride (paved road, dirt road, trail) as long as I hit my goal. Found myself consistently going over 100 miles which was a bonus. This goal motivated me out to ride at times when I didn't feel like it, on those windy days, and on long solo journeys. I came to enjoy the rides, different sceneries, and increased fitness level. Did a few races, including Iceman, and felt good at each & finished strong. (BTW, I'm 50 yrs. young 8) )

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby owosso bob » May 23rd, 2013, 6:50 am

Being retired I am able to ride as much as possible , which for me is about 150 -200 miles per week now when the weather holds . Lucky because I have really good roads , gravel and paved to ride right out my door . Also have a local trail that is quite a good workout with tight twisty single track and a few hills . Also I do 4 week long tours every year that average about 350 miles for the week . I am not a whole lot faster but really enjoy my time on the bike . ( BTW I am now 70 years young ) so there really is no need to go fast just go .
owosso bob

Postby john_galt » May 23rd, 2013, 7:09 am

Eat, drink, ride, & be merry.
john_galt

Postby bikerector » May 23rd, 2013, 7:16 am

How much you're able to ride is pretty subjective on daily life and such, kids, work, marriage, etc. The mantra of riding as much as possible to get better is a great starting point. Along with that, if you wish to train for performance, set a goal for each ride, no matter how detailed, sounds like you do some of that when you choose which ring to stay in.

XC racing is going to have a lot of interval-like attributes so doing some interval training will help, which is usually easier to do on the road.

Big thing I'm finding out is that fitness isn't everything. I have a very solid engine from training for road races but I pretty much suck at high speed technical corners and any technical downhill like sections. If it's downhill and there's a turn, I consider it technical because I simply am not that good at it yet. That's an area of focus fro me because that's my weak spot. I suggest finding what you're weak at and working at it. The limiting factor should help get you a lot of time in the races over improving just what you're good at. Don't ignore your strengths, but you're looking more for maintenance in those areas since there should be better time benefits from improving the weak areas, with some exception, like if a trail has no technical section, training to be a super technical rider won't help a whole lot.

Weekends are a great time to get in the longer miles to build up the base fitness. I usually aim for 3-5 hours of riding for days on the weekends (I have the time, you may not. I will ride twice a day often on these days). If you're near to a group getting in with a group ride is usually beneficial because you can see what the good guys are doing, you can ask questions, and get tips on how to get faster.

For reference, I usually ride 10-15 hours a week over 6 days of riding (usually) with a mixture of road and mountain depending on what races are coming up. I focus on road and cyclocross and then mountain bike for fun. I once held a USAC coaching license but let it expire because it kept feeling like they keep wanting more money for the education (in terms of CEU's) I can get for free from training peaks webinars, reading books, and other sources. Anyway, shoot me a pm if you want a sample training plan or something as a reference to go off. There are others on the web as well that you could search for as well.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby iamkickstand » May 23rd, 2013, 2:17 pm

bax, you have the skills, you already know the answer, ride ride ride. Rest when your body says so.
iamkickstand

Postby balexander87 » May 23rd, 2013, 8:46 pm

I was trying to do the whole ride, ride, ride thing to get a boost in my stamina prior to a trip to Brown County, and it was working pretty well, but the biggest improvement I saw was a result of a single piece of advice from a riding buddy. We were out riding and he noticed me getting winded on some of the tougher climbs, he told me to really focus on slowing my breathing down and breathing deeper while climbing and recovering. Bam, it was like someone flipped a switch. All of a sudden my legs didn't feel like lead halfway up a hill and I was recovering MUCH faster.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that making an effort to improve your... I don't know... "aerobic technique", maybe?? whatever you want to call it... can have as big of an impact as just getting in the miles.
balexander87

Postby BK big fish » May 24th, 2013, 5:31 am

I am 41 and have been riding since 08(minus 9 months for bowel reconstruction surgery) and I ride 4,000+ miles a year. I ride often as possible, logging many miles of dirt road and single track and have found that riding with people who are faster than you really helps with my endurance and speed. I have the time on weekends to ride 50-70 miles and have found this also really helps! In other words, ride with faster guys and ride often as possible! BK
BK big fish

Postby bikerector » May 24th, 2013, 7:44 am

balexander87 wrote:I guess the point I'm trying to make is that making an effort to improve your... I don't know... "aerobic technique", maybe?? whatever you want to call it... can have as big of an impact as just getting in the miles.

http://easycycling.com/how-to-breathe-r ... go-faster/

I know I've randomly read a different article about it somewhere else, but it was more of a sport science type thing doing all of the, "how much does breathing right help" and so on. I think a few top coaches actually have breathing drills, though that's way over the head of most people here. I think it has to do with the extreme elevation changes some of the pro races have so it's a way to deal with the thinner/heavier air. Thought I read it in a training peaks article but I can't find it.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby bax » May 24th, 2013, 3:04 pm

"focus on slowing my breathing down and breathing deeper while climbing and recovering" - That's something I do not do.

"bax, you have the skills, " - After last weekends thrills and spills.... This I question.

"have the time on weekends to ride 50-70 miles and have found this also really helps! In other words, ride with faster guys and ride often as possible! BK"

"set a weekly mileage goal of riding at least 100 miles a week." - Longer rides Are definetly part of my problem.

"Anyway, shoot me a pm if you want a sample training plan or something as a reference to go off." - Check your mailbox! Thanks for the link.

Thanks to all that responded, heading out to do 20 tonight. 8)
bax

Postby c0nsumer » May 24th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Also, stop as little as possible. Even if you need to go really slow for a while, that's okay. Just try not to stop.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby dirt » May 25th, 2013, 7:53 am

c0nsumer wrote:Also, stop as little as possible. Even if you need to go really slow for a while, that's okay. Just try not to stop.

This. and pedal constantly. Even if you have to soft pedal, keeping the legs moving, and keeping the bike moving, is very beneficial.
Nick Shue
Big Ring Coffee MTB
The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt
Administrator

Postby MLKuhl » May 29th, 2013, 8:12 am

I am a beliver in quality over quantity because, well, things like 3 kids under 8 and other responsibilties don't allow alot of riding in my life now. I do make it a point to get in 2 rides a week though. Usually a ride on the local rail trail of 90min good pace with constant spinning or a hour on the trainer pretty good pace with no stops after kids are in bed. That seems to give me enough fittness to do 20 to 30 miles on the weekend of singletrack riding without suffering...I rarely make any stops, make all the climbs and do it at a pretty good pace. Im definitley not the fastest out there but neither the slowest. All winter I also FORCED myself to ride the trainer 2 to 3 times a week for at least 45 min. to maintain a little fittness. This was also my training for my first Iceman last year and was able to finish in 2:48 and didn't suffer too much...I know, not a great time but I was happy with it.

Matt
MLKuhl

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques