Bad Wheel Bearings and Free Hub

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Bad Wheel Bearings and Free Hub

Postby GreeneRob » May 21st, 2013, 2:25 pm

Last week I bought a set of wheels here on the forum. Speed disc 29er Single Speed. I have had 3 sets of these over the past half dozen years and they all had the same blank no name hub. A couple issues:

1.) The free hub was all but seized. It would spin a little with effort. It has gotten a little better, but it only spins for a short time before it stops. It isn't going to get any better. Since it is spining, can I just take it apart, clean and re grease?

2.) The wheel bearings are in the same boat. One on each side was completely siezed. The other side bearings spin, but but not fast. I took the really bad bearings out and soaked them in WB40. I was hoping that this might free them up and I could pull the dust caps off, clean and regrease.

If this cleaning crap doesn't work, does anyone know where to get bearings?
GreeneRob

Re: Bad Wheel Bearings and Free Hub

Postby c0nsumer » May 21st, 2013, 2:30 pm

Bearings are easy to find. Check your LBS, look in the yellow pages for bearing suppliers, or just look online. The bearing number will be printed on the seal on the side.

Don't just soak them in WD40 especially without removing the seals. If you want to do it right look up info on repacking sealed bearings, or just replace them.

Yes, take the freehub apart, clean it, grease it, and put it back together. Use a lighter weight grease for the freehub like Slick Honey or so. The internet will find you directions on taking it apart.

Use a proper degreaser like Zep citrus stuff, or the Finish Line products. Don't use WD40 for anything on the bike except for perhaps some cleaning. It's pretty much only a solvent but not anything you want left over or to be lubing with.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby GreeneRob » May 28th, 2013, 12:56 pm

I decided I needed new bearing. They were WAY beyond a degrease and relube. The set of 4 was only $20 anyway. My issue now is getting this darn freehub off. Everywhere I look it says to use a 10mm hex. I can put that thing all the way through the hub. In the hub it looks like there are splines on the area where the fixing bolts would be. I have attached a pic of the kind of hub which I think is a formula brand. Anyone have experience with this?

GreeneRob

Postby Roy » May 29th, 2013, 7:10 am

I use a 12 splined metric tool to unscrew the hollow bolt. Look inside the tube to identify the configuration of the internal spline. Your local bike shop should have a Park Tool hanging on a sales rack.
Unless you are a great wrench (like Steve) do not try to take it apart. Just spin it in solvent. Keep spinning it until all the dirt is out, then spray lube it.

Better yet just buy a new one. Most bike shops will install a part for free if you buy it from them. Clean the wheel/Hub and take it in. Then buy the tool, so you can R&R in it the further. It is a good tool to have.

Roy
Roy

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques