clamp-on grips on carbon bars

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

clamp-on grips on carbon bars

Postby pharus » May 17th, 2013, 2:05 pm

My clamp-on grips only have a tightening screw on the inside end, not out on the handlebar end. I am leary of tightening too hard becuase the handlebar is carbon, yet the grip still tends to rotate while riding. I am planning to pick up some carbon friction paste at REI, would this solve the issue? Does this paste just go at the area where the tightening screw is, or under the entire grip?
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Re: clamp-on grips on carbon bars

Postby Critter7r » May 17th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Not carbon bars, but I used to use motorcycle grip adhesive by just squirting a couple dabs inside and then smearing it around with a popsicle stick and slide them on. They never moved again. Had to cut them off when they wore out, in fact.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby bikerector » May 17th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Some clamp-on style grips suggest they are carbon bar compatible suggesting they have some way of dispersing the clamping forces. The BMX mechanic at my LBS says a lot of guys use hairspray for BMX style grips, seems like it should work with clamp-ons. Really shouldn't need much sticking power if the stickiness is spread over the entire surface area of the contact points.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby ColorVoyeur » May 17th, 2013, 7:06 pm

No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby deuxdiesel » May 17th, 2013, 7:35 pm

The clamping force required to hold the grips in place is not all that great- most of mine require about the same as the brakes and shifters (4-5N). I've stripped out several clamping rings on Ergon grips well before they would crush a carbon bar. I don't know if it's still available, but years ago I used Jersey-mall-hair quality hairspray on the bars to hold grips in place. It adds just enough tack to hold them from twisting.
deuxdiesel

Postby utabintarbo » May 17th, 2013, 8:47 pm

pharus wrote:My clamp-on grips only have a tightening screw on the inside end, not out on the handlebar end. I am leary of tightening too hard becuase the handlebar is carbon, yet the grip still tends to rotate while riding. I am planning to pick up some carbon friction paste at REI, would this solve the issue? Does this paste just go at the area where the tightening screw is, or under the entire grip?

I have a tube of Park carbon paste (whatever it's called), and will gladly hook you up, as I will never use it all. :P

It does work, BTW.
utabintarbo

Postby skieur » May 17th, 2013, 9:35 pm

pharus wrote:My clamp-on grips only have a tightening screw on the inside end, not out on the handlebar end. I am leary of tightening too hard becuase the handlebar is carbon, yet the grip still tends to rotate while riding. I am planning to pick up some carbon friction paste at REI, would this solve the issue? Does this paste just go at the area where the tightening screw is, or under the entire grip?

Yes, the carbon paste will help. Use it under the whole grip. Also, feel free to go a little tighter with your clamping. If the clamp was on the outside edge of the bars, then I would say to look for some expansion plugs to reinforce the end of the bar. There use to be several makers of this plug, but I haven't been able to find any for customers in a while. May have to fire up my bench lathe and start making some.
Just my $0.02
skieur

Postby volklgirl » June 20th, 2013, 8:17 pm

If you go the hairspray route, get the cheapest aerosol "extra hold" spray you can get....Aquanet is my $1.99 spray of choice. It'll be plenty sticky for you.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby i69whitey » June 21st, 2013, 10:04 am

I have used a misting of spray paint, always works, even with slip-on grips.
luckily I always keep a spray can of orange in my Camelbak for marking rocks and roots.:evil:
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby bikerector » June 21st, 2013, 10:31 am

i69whitey wrote:I have used a misting of spray paint, always works, even with slip-on grips.
luckily I always keep a spray can of orange in my Camelbak for marking rocks and roots.:evil:

Isn't that cheating?
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques