Cardio Conundrum

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Cardio Conundrum

Postby iamkickstand » June 6th, 2013, 8:36 am

b_b wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:If you feel strength is an issue have you considered supplementing with strength training?

I still lift 1-2 days per week in season. 4-6 off season. Although my cardio feels bad im noticing my lap times are significantly faster than last year since I started using Strava again.

Ok I'm calling B.S. on this entire thread. :)
How can lap times be faster and cardio worse???

re-read the first two posts I made in this thread.

My cardio "feels" worse.

Comparing my strava runs, a few strava rides and a few stop watch rides where I was specifically trying to beat what I remember my PR to be. Though with Strava which isn't always a good indicator because I ride with the kids, my fiance, friends, etc. so it's not consistently "my" lap times.

Also, I wasn't timing rides earlier this year, but have timed a few of them recently, this thread is a month old now. My cardio has improved since then. I've been able to ride and run quite a bit this month.
iamkickstand

Postby djr21589 » June 6th, 2013, 9:48 am

iamkickstand wrote:If you feel strength is an issue have you considered supplementing with strength training?

I still lift 1-2 days per week in season. 4-6 off season. Although my cardio feels bad im noticing my lap times are significantly faster than last year since I started using Strava again.

Would you say that if I want to be faster I need more strength? Or do you think I'm lacking elsewhere?
djr21589

Postby iamkickstand » June 6th, 2013, 2:30 pm

djr21589 wrote:

Would you say that if I want to be faster I need more strength? Or do you think I'm lacking elsewhere?

Part of it could be strength, or muscle conditioning. Hard to say. More riding will definitely help, but I feel weight training has definitely helped my riding.
iamkickstand

Postby djr21589 » June 6th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Might have to go sign up at good old PF
djr21589

Postby iamkickstand » June 12th, 2013, 10:36 am

Sign up somewhere other than planetfitness. Find a gym where you can deadlift and squat and use barbells and dumbells and free weights. Machine work doesn't involve any stabilizer muscles.....looks good on the beach, doesn't translate to the real world.
iamkickstand

Postby djr21589 » June 12th, 2013, 12:36 pm

I'm trying to avoid the gym scene as long as possible. I've just started my own little routine this past week, just have to see if its going to help me or not. Thrown together I do a ton of stairs do some free standing wall sits and high knees. I don't want to go to overkill but already I'm aching everywhere.
djr21589

Postby iamkickstand » June 12th, 2013, 1:30 pm

That should help. do walking lunges, pushups pull ups (don't neglect upper body like many cyclists do), planks, skip rope, etc. Some good equipment free stuff.
iamkickstand

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 12th, 2013, 1:45 pm

& reverse lunges.
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby iamkickstand » June 12th, 2013, 2:14 pm

and split squats, and split squat jump thingies, and box jumps, and pistols, and any sort of plyometrics, and superman pushups and .... and..... and......

you can do a LOT with out a gym and with out equipment.
iamkickstand

Postby Roy » June 18th, 2013, 7:59 am

I found this article , Effect of ingested Soda Bicarbonate --- in Applied Physiology Journal
http://jap.physiology.org
vol. 83, no. 2 pp 333-337,aug 1997 - found in the Archives section
This article indicates that ingestion of soda bicarb will yield an additional 30 seconds of all out anaerobic effort at an increased power level.
It is not something you would want to try. The Bonk might be really bad!
However, if it worked, Soda bicarb would be the ultimate cheat in " Tour de France".
The article also describes how the anaerobic point is measured in a lab.

Roy
Roy

Postby detroitjohnny » June 23rd, 2013, 8:39 am

It never gets easier, you just go faster. :lol: :lol:
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby 300hp » June 23rd, 2013, 8:20 pm

yeah kickstand,

You're honestly riding quite a bit faster than last year. I don't know what all your b****ing is about :)
300hp

Previous

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques