Needing new wheels, options?

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Needing new wheels, options?

Postby c0nsumer » May 8th, 2013, 7:03 am

Just be sure you get a well-built set... That's where the real strength in the wheels comes from.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby balexander87 » May 8th, 2013, 9:15 am

c0nsumer wrote:Just be sure you get a well-built set... That's where the real strength in the wheels comes from.

Absolutely. If I've learned anything in this process so far it's that build quality has as much of an impact on strength as the components. Hoping to go with a custom or semi-custom build if not build them myself. If I were to do it myself, I would definitely have a competent builder give my work a final check.

It's tempting to jump on one of the pre-built deals that are available, and I understand that going with this option doesn't necessarily guarantee a poorly built set, but it doesn't guarantee a well built set either. To be fair, I don't suppose anything guarantees good build quality 100%, but you can greatly increase your chances by going with a builder that has an extensive track record of building quality wheels. At least that's my impression, and the route I plan to take.
balexander87

Postby c0nsumer » May 8th, 2013, 9:19 am

balexander87 wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Just be sure you get a well-built set... That's where the real strength in the wheels comes from.

Absolutely. If I've learned anything in this process so far it's that build quality has as much of an impact on strength as the components. Hoping to go with a custom or semi-custom build if not build them myself. If I were to do it myself, I would definitely have a competent builder give my work a final check.

It's tempting to jump on one of the pre-built deals that are available, and I understand that going with this option doesn't necessarily guarantee a poorly built set, but it doesn't guarantee a well built set either. To be fair, I don't suppose anything guarantees good build quality 100%, but you can greatly increase your chances by going with a builder that has an extensive track record of building quality wheels. At least that's my impression, and the route I plan to take.

Exactly; glad to hear it. :) One thing to mention, QBP (the distributor that most bike shops use) has a program called Handspun where they build the wheelsets themselves for something like $30 more than what the parts cost. You (well, your LBS when ordering) picks the parts you want and Handspun builds up the wheels. This can sometimes be a timesaver if your preferred local shop is behind on wheel builds or isn't too keen on doing them. In my limited experience (stock wheelsets from my Mukluk 2 and El Mariachi Ti) the Handspun-built wheels are good. So this may be an option for you.

Locally I've personally also seen very nice wheels from Trail's Edge, Rochester Bike Shop, and Fraser Bicycle and Fitness. Former Michigan resident Mike Curiak / lacemine29.com is also very well regarded.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Jerry68 » May 9th, 2013, 10:07 am

Agreed. I have a 700C front wheel, velocity deep V with bladed spokes and American Classic hub, that Dave Thomas (Speed Dream Wheels) built for me in 1996. This wheel has been on several road bikes, a couple TRI bikes, and is currently pulling duty on my CX bike. This wheel has THOUSANDS of miles on it, has NEVER been trued, and barely twitches the needle on my run-out gauge :shock:
Pisgah Area Sorba
Fortitudine Vincimus
Jerry68

Postby dnale » May 11th, 2013, 11:06 am

KLydesdale wrote:I'm kind of disappointed in the durability of the P35s on a wheelset I picked up a set a few months ago. I've already dented a sidewall on the rear one and they've haven't even been on a trail yet - just a few bike path/dirt road rides on my Salsa Fargo. For the life of me can't recall doing anything that should have dented it like it is. I haven't done anything like that to a rim in a long, long time and when I did, I KNEW what caused it. Looking at the reviews of them, it seems that the P35s do have a reputation for being soft and prone to dents.

I'm surprised that they dented. Granted I'm cautious with mine. No rock gardens for me but that's because I envision crashing my carbon on the rocks. I would think siding a rock with any wheel could cause some damage. My rear is a stock p35 with shimano cassette. I had the front laced to an x9 hub and it runs smooth. Hope rotor on the back and shimano ice on the front to fit my brakes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby Sortaslow » May 11th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Last edited by Sortaslow on May 11th, 2013, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sortaslow

Postby Sortaslow » May 11th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Sortaslow wrote:All of my p35s are dented. I think they have longish sidewalls, thus dent more easily possibly as the material gets farther and farther from the rim bed.
Sortaslow

Postby KLydesdale » May 11th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Sortaslow wrote:All of my p35s are dented. I think they have longish sidewalls, thus dent more easily possibly as the material gets farther and farther from the rim bed.

I don't think that's the case at all. The sidewalls on my P35s are approx. 5.25 mm above the spoke bed. That's not any longer than any of the other rims I have beside the Flows with their BST design.
KLydesdale

Postby KLydesdale » May 11th, 2013, 9:27 pm

dnale wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:I'm kind of disappointed in the durability of the P35s on a wheelset I picked up a set a few months ago. I've already dented a sidewall on the rear one and they've haven't even been on a trail yet - just a few bike path/dirt road rides on my Salsa Fargo. For the life of me can't recall doing anything that should have dented it like it is. I haven't done anything like that to a rim in a long, long time and when I did, I KNEW what caused it. Looking at the reviews of them, it seems that the P35s do have a reputation for being soft and prone to dents.

I'm surprised that they dented.

Yeah... I was too. At least until I did a search on them and found plenty of reports about it.
KLydesdale

Postby Sortaslow » May 12th, 2013, 7:16 am

KLydesdale wrote:

I don't think that's the case at all. The sidewalls on my P35s are approx. 5.25 mm above the spoke bed. That's not any longer than any of the other rims I have beside the Flows with their BST design.

Are they thinner then? All of mine have tires mounted right now, but I wanted to check this out. Thanks for confirming the dimension. I was going off of memory and thought they seemed rather tall, but I was probably just thrown off because of the width.
My buddies p35 sidewalls are dented too.
Sortaslow

Postby dnale » May 12th, 2013, 8:40 am

What does velocity say about the denting? They seem to be pretty decent people and they are here in Michigan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
dnale

Postby Will_Ott » May 15th, 2013, 7:54 am

I imagine Velocity would recommend inflating the tires to an adequate pressure to prevent rim strikes.
Will_Ott

Postby c0nsumer » May 15th, 2013, 8:05 am

Will_Ott wrote:I imagine Velocity would recommend inflating the tires to an adequate pressure to prevent rim strikes.

It's always possible to hit a rim even at high pressures. Some rims are more durable than others.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby b_b » May 15th, 2013, 8:28 am

I have a couple of dings in my 2012 Specialized Roval (DT?) rimes from one year usage, but no dings in my previous two sets of Mavic's from 2004-2011. Not sure if bad luck or the rims, but I am riding more and a little faster.
b_b

Previous

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques