Needing new wheels, options?

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Bent rim, how to proceed?

Postby balexander87 » May 2nd, 2013, 3:12 pm

Hmm. It seems that it's difficult to find components (hubs, rims, etc.) in this middle ground price range that have consistent reviews. It seems like no matter what product you are looking at, there are good and bad reviews. Perhaps the higher end stuff, especially hubs, have more consistently good reviews. It's difficult to find reviews of these products in general, though. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place??

I'd like to think I could shop around and get the parts together for a build cheaper than I can find a whole set, but I gotta say, it's proving hard to find something that will compete with that bombproof XT/Flow set above, even if they are heavier than most I've been looking at.
balexander87

Postby Jerry68 » May 3rd, 2013, 7:39 am

KLydesdale wrote:
dnale wrote:My velocity rims are the p35 blunts. Very wide and durable from my experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I'm kind of disappointed in the durability of the P35s on a wheelset I picked up a set a few months ago. I've already dented a sidewall on the rear one and they've haven't even been on a trail yet - just a few bike path/dirt road rides on my Salsa Fargo. For the life of me can't recall doing anything that should have dented it like it is. I haven't done anything like that to a rim in a long, long time and when I did, I KNEW what caused it. Looking at the reviews of them, it seems that the P35s do have a reputation for being soft and prone to dents.

I am running P35/XT (<$300 on Ebay) on my SIR 9, and REALLY like them, especially with the 2.4 Ardents (tubeless at 15psi) :twisted:
The P35 rims are on the soft side and I have had denting, but nothing I couldn't ignore or easily fix... I'd rather have a softer rim that dents that a brittle rim that cracks.
Pisgah Area Sorba
Fortitudine Vincimus
Jerry68

Re: Needing new wheels, options?

Postby c0nsumer » May 3rd, 2013, 7:44 am

I have some of the newer-style higher engagement XT hubs on my new bike and thus far I'm really liking them.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Jerry68 » May 3rd, 2013, 8:04 am

c0nsumer wrote:I have some of the newer-style higher engagement XT hubs on my new bike and thus far I'm really liking them.

Yeah, mine are the old style and the engagement would be my only complaint (I'm spoiled).
Pisgah Area Sorba
Fortitudine Vincimus
Jerry68

Postby amadkins » May 3rd, 2013, 1:26 pm

I've blown quite a few shimano hubs out over the years. Including the xts. For the money, I don't think you can beat Hope hubs. Tough, high engagement, easy to work on, and moderately priced. I've got two sets that have given me zero trouble, and I'm 270.
amadkins

Postby c0nsumer » May 3rd, 2013, 1:31 pm

amadkins wrote:I've blown quite a few shimano hubs out over the years. Including the xts. For the money, I don't think you can beat Hope hubs. Tough, high engagement, easy to work on, and moderately priced. I've got two sets that have given me zero trouble, and I'm 270.

What was the failure mode on the XT hubs?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby amadkins » May 3rd, 2013, 1:34 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
amadkins wrote:I've blown quite a few shimano hubs out over the years. Including the xts. For the money, I don't think you can beat Hope hubs. Tough, high engagement, easy to work on, and moderately priced. I've got two sets that have given me zero trouble, and I'm 270.

Stripped out the pawls under load and cracked a couple freehub bodies.
amadkins

Postby c0nsumer » May 3rd, 2013, 1:35 pm

amadkins wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

Cool, thanks. I was curious what to keep an eye out for. Sounds like both of those can be sorted out with a freehub replacement, though.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby amadkins » May 3rd, 2013, 2:48 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
amadkins wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

Cool, thanks. I was curious what to keep an eye out for. Sounds like both of those can be sorted out with a freehub replacement, though.

Yep, but you'll still be *beep* if it gives out midway through b loop at Highland lemme tell you.
amadkins

Postby KLydesdale » May 3rd, 2013, 3:27 pm

amadkins wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:
amadkins wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

Yep, but you'll still be *beep* if it gives out midway through b loop at Highland lemme tell you.

Those are the main reasons I migrated away from Shimano hubs on the bikes I most frequently ride on trails. When I bent/broke axles or blew out the freehub it usually did so at the most inconvenient time. My CK hub with heavy duty axle and steel freehub shell and Hope freehubs with Ti and steel freehub shells have pretty much eliminated that far too frequent headache for me.
KLydesdale

Postby Sortaslow » May 3rd, 2013, 5:29 pm

Isn't that all solved now? That had been going on for so long, that I thought it was behind them.
Sortaslow

Postby KLydesdale » May 5th, 2013, 11:10 am

Jerry68 wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:
dnale wrote:My velocity rims are the p35 blunts. Very wide and durable from my experience.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I'm kind of disappointed in the durability of the P35s on a wheelset I picked up a set a few months ago. I've already dented a sidewall on the rear one and they've haven't even been on a trail yet - just a few bike path/dirt road rides on my Salsa Fargo. For the life of me can't recall doing anything that should have dented it like it is. I haven't done anything like that to a rim in a long, long time and when I did, I KNEW what caused it. Looking at the reviews of them, it seems that the P35s do have a reputation for being soft and prone to dents.

I am running P35/XT (<$300 on Ebay) on my SIR 9, and REALLY like them, especially with the 2.4 Ardents (tubeless at 15psi) :twisted:
The P35 rims are on the soft side and I have had denting, but nothing I couldn't ignore or easily fix... I'd rather have a softer rim that dents that a brittle rim that cracks.

Yeah but wouldn't you rather have a rim that can take a relatively small hit without denting AND without cracking? I've had no issues with cracking on any of the other rims I've used in the wheels I've built up over the last 15+ years and I can't remember the last time I dented one of them.

I bought the P35 wheelset, which has XT hubs, mainly because I got a great deal on them - $99.99 on sale at my favorite LBS - and I was looking for an extra set of 29er wheels to use on my Fargo in the winter with studded or wider tires at lower pressures. (I'll still use XT hubs on my non-trail bikes where they hold up a little better.) What bothers me more than the denting is that the powder coating on the inside of the rim is flaking off which made running them tubeless a bit of a problem because paint comes loose under the rim tape and buckles it up creating leaks. I used the tape and valves made for specifically for the P35 and the valves don't fit the rims all that well either. I had problems with them leaking around the base. Not impressed at all with that. For what I paid for them I'm not "that" disappointed. I'll just run tubes in them which I'm probably better off doing anyways with wheels that are going to sit around a lot.

FWIW, and more pertinent to the OP's dilemma, the other set of wheels I use on my Fargo have ALEX TD17 rims on them and are about 8 years old and I've never had denting or durability issues with them even though they spent their first year on my FS 29er where they saw plenty of abuse under my 250 lb carcass. The TD17s can be had for less than $30 making them a good replacement rim for wheelset that you want to keep going but don't want to sink a lot of money into.

http://www.aebike.com/Alex-TD17-700c-32h-Black-Disc-Rim_p_22156.html

Before I got the P35 wheelset, the rim I was considering using for low-cost winter wheels on my Fargo was the ALEX SX44 which is more MTB-oriented than the TD17.

KLydesdale

Postby Jerry68 » May 7th, 2013, 9:28 am

Pisgah = ROCKS. You'll eventually dent any wheel down here, especially if your running low air pressure.
Pisgah Area Sorba
Fortitudine Vincimus
Jerry68

Postby AllMountin' » May 7th, 2013, 10:36 pm

balexander87 wrote:If I set my spending limit at $400, am I severely limiting myself?

If you can do 400, perhaps you could work a day of OT and squeeze out 500?

For a new build wheelset, I would think a WTB i23 build would be perfect for you. Wide, strong, and lightish.

Note: I'm not sure if you mentioned your specs, but these are thru axle hubs: http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-APBAMWS.html

i23 with e13 hubs, phil wood spokes, and DT nipples. I have a cheaper build i23 on my Mason, and beat the snot out of it. Only a couple/few months of hard riding, so no long term testing yet.

A quick release set with x9 hubs and DT spokes for 240 on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WTB-FREQUENCY-I23-29er-Tubeless-Mountain-bike-Wheelset-SRAM-X9-Hub-6-bolt-Disc-/330912348534#vi-content

There are some XT versions on there too, and other options for thru axle front. Just make sure the hubs match your rig(obviously).

Don't buy skinny rims. It's a waste of tire and grip.

Also, I have had a bearing failure on a Spesh hub out at Highland, though it wasn't on B loop. It was out on D, so I popped out to Beaumont and limped back to the TH. Kept throwing chain in front of the cassette if I slowed or stopped pedaling. Highly annoying.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby balexander87 » May 8th, 2013, 6:15 am

AllMountin' wrote:If you can do 400, perhaps you could work a day of OT and squeeze out 500?

For a new build wheelset, I would think a WTB i23 build would be perfect for you. Wide, strong, and lightish.

Note: I'm not sure if you mentioned your specs, but these are thru axle hubs: http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-APBAMWS.html

Thank you for the info. I have sort of come to the conclusion that I will be best served to wait until I can eke out a few more bucks towards this purchase. Seems like I'm at point where you can spend a little more and get a lot less (opposite of diminishing returns).

The i23s are definitely on my list of potential rims. Also looking into the Stans Flows or Arches, and Sun-Ringle Black Flags or Chargers. Probably some others, but those are what I can think of at the moment.

I do think I failed to mention the hub spec. I've got QR front and rear. XT hubs seem like they're sort of up my alley: decently performing hub with out any real frills. The issues with the freehubs is a bit disconcerting though. I would really like to be able to go with something like some Hope Pro II hubs, but that will definitely require me saving a few more bucks. Hoping to get a few perks at work in the next couple of months, so could put that towards the wheelset (salaried = no OT :evil: )
balexander87

PreviousNext

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques