turning old road bike into hybrid/cd, help!

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

turning old road bike into hybrid/cd, help!

Postby glr » April 16th, 2013, 8:43 am

So after some years of storage I decided it was time to do some work to my old Fuji 10 speed. I don't know if I want it to be more cx/commuter, but i do know that I don't want it to just be a paved road bike. Any one ever try this? If so I could use some advice, pics of you project bikes would also be appreciated.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Re: turning old road bike into hybrid/cd, help!

Postby MediumRB » April 16th, 2013, 8:50 am

If your bike has 27" wheels (maybe even with steel rims), then the first thing to do is go to 700c (with aluminum rims) and then you can fit bigger tires in there. It may necessitate some brake caliper changes, but it is do-able.
A picture of your bike with the specifics would be more helpful to the community to assess what you have going on. And how much bike wrenching you feel able to do. And how much money you want to sink into it.

I would say to strip the gears off it and go single speed or fixed gear. Then chop & flop the handlebars, get some sort of foot retention on the pedals, find an ironic trucker cap, wear scarves unnecessarily, and drink PBR.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby bikerector » April 16th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Sounds like the best thing would be to figure out how wide of tires you can put on it. That would be it. Brake calipers, frame, or wheels may be limiting factors.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby vintagefisher » April 16th, 2013, 1:38 pm

I ride this bad boy to work and back and get some dirt road miles as well.

IMAG0545 by the5ifty, on Flickr

Definitely go 700C if possible. A good amount of old frames (70s /80s) will fit around 35 tires. Above it my fuji Espree.

and a thread about it as well http://mysinglespeed.com/content/im-thinking-about-monstercross
'09 Jamis Dragon One SS (lots of carbon and steel)
70s Ratty old fixed gear commuter/beer getter

http://mysinglespeed.com/

"You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."
vintagefisher

Postby glr » April 16th, 2013, 2:09 pm

So let me just say that i wanted to stay with 27" wheels, I know that makes for some limitations but i found some pasela p.g. tires that should meet the needs and a decent set of aluminium wheels as well. The one question that I'm wondering is why does everyone go with single speed?
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby MediumRB » April 16th, 2013, 8:31 pm

glr wrote:The one question that I'm wondering is why does everyone go with single speed?

Because that is all you need. Really.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby glr » April 16th, 2013, 9:22 pm

The Fuji above is very similar to mine. Mine is just called the "sport 10" it does ride nice. I guess I'm curious what gear configuration do you use for a single speed. What speed are you averaging? I'm certainly interested, prior to today I never thought of single speed.
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby bikerector » April 17th, 2013, 4:10 am

A lot of people also go geared. Single speed is lower maintenance and cheaper to maintain. Some people also like the simplicity. I have always commuted geared except for in the winter where single speed was nice because road salt is *beep* on derailleurs and cables. Much cheaper to replace a single speed chain and a cog than a full cassette/freewheel and multi-speed chain.

Commuting speeds are for single speed will vary upon terrain/hillls and distance to travel. I have showers where I work so I have no problem averaging 18-20 mph into work since I can shower when I get there. 15-16 was nice on my ss mountain bike this winter for not building up too much of a sweat going place. Single speed is going to be a little trial and error, look at some new bikes on manufacturers websites for ideas of what gears they're using for their stock bikes. seems like something like a 42t chainring and 16t rear is common.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby glr » April 21st, 2013, 8:27 pm

Well for an update, I picked up my new wheels, tires, and seat. Had to sand and prime the frame (original paint and decals were worn), will be painting the frame and fork tomorrow and hopefully shopping for my new handlebars, brake levers, crank and gear ratio. Hopefully all will go well. I'll try to post a pic when done. Thanks for all your advice!
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby glr » May 15th, 2013, 9:10 pm

wish I could figure out how to post pictures, just got it back tonight. Man is it fun to ride!
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby balexander87 » May 16th, 2013, 8:13 am

glr wrote:wish I could figure out how to post pictures, just got it back tonight. Man is it fun to ride!

Get your pics online somewhere (flickr, imgur, etc.) and make sure permissions are set to public, then do this. We all enjoy seeing pics!
balexander87

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques