new saddle

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

new saddle

Postby Ricky Billy » April 16th, 2013, 8:06 am

I just purchased my first new saddle an Iodine 11 . it matches my bike and doesnt have any bad reviews online. I guess i just figured a high priced saddle should be good. only payed $79 with shipping on The Clymb.

Good purchase?
Shake - N - bake!! Shut your d*mn hole chip!!!
Ricky Billy

Re: new saddle

Postby c0nsumer » April 16th, 2013, 8:10 am

Does it fit your ass? If so, yes. If not, too bad. Good luck returning it.

This is one big reason to get saddles from a local shop via a try-out program, or something like the Specialized BG Fit stuff. I'd imagine Bontrager has something similar. My wife and I will be visiting a local shop this week to find a saddle that fits her.

I think the most oft-repeated phrase around here about saddles is "One man's Lay-Z-Boy is another man's ass hatchet.".
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby mtbfree » April 16th, 2013, 8:17 am

c0nsumer wrote:"One man's Lay-Z-Boy is another man's ass hatchet."

Great phrase... I'm gonna remember that one.

To the OP: Everything Steve said is spot on. There are a few shops around with saddle try-out programs... Trails Edge in Milford comes to mind, but I could be wrong on that one. I like WTB saddles because they fit my ass well, but my ass is probably different than your ass, so don't take my word for it.

Make sure you report back after you get some miles on that Iodine saddle. You'll know if it was a good choice or not after three or four rides on it.
I'm just here to ride...

-'09 Turner DHR
-Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby Mack » April 16th, 2013, 8:19 am

Only you and your a$$/junk will know if this is a good purchase. The first long ride will usually determine if
you and the saddle are a good fit or not.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby Ricky Billy » April 16th, 2013, 8:26 am

mtbfree wrote:

To the OP: Everything Steve said is spot on. There are a few shops around with saddle try-out programs... Trails Edge in Milford comes to mind, but I could be wrong on that one. I like WTB saddles because they fit my ass well, but my ass is probably different than your ass, so don't take my word for it.

Make sure you report back after you get some miles on that Iodine saddle. You'll know if it was a good choice or not after three or four rides on it.

Thanks, i currently have a WTB saddle as well, But (no pun intended) i am new to mountain biking as of 2 summers ago and dont know anything different. all i know is my rear has done well on the WTB. it is just starting to wear down the material on the nose. I will hopefully have the Iodine 11 ready by sunday for a ride... hopefully at the Tree farm.

Riding a 2006 Giant Trance 2. 2.4 tires :shock: , WTB as well... havent gone down in a corner yet (dont know anything different). Got it for $900 3 years ago. First real bike and i love it. Just went 1X9 with a 36 in the front...Love that as well!

I will post my review when i have an opinion.
Ricky Billy

Postby jalopy jockey » April 16th, 2013, 10:51 am

mtbfree wrote:

Ah but what WTB saddle? The Speed V is an ass hatchet as are many other WTB saddles while I have a Silverado on 3 mountain bikes two of which are proven for long haul comfort and the 3rd is a new bike and still being dialed in. I have a Devo on my cross bike. I can swap the Silverado to the cross bike or the Devo to a MTB but with diminished comfort over the long haul.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby iamkickstand » April 16th, 2013, 12:20 pm

mtbfree wrote:

While the WTB try a saddle program at Trails Edge in Milford is a nice program, the woman behind the counter was ver difficult to work with in finding a nice fitting saddle for a girl I know who likes to ride her bike.

As for saddles, I am one of the lucky few, I can tolerate riding on a 2x4 for hours on end with out massive ass pain.

I like a nice slim saddle that stays out of my way, but I do think when my current wears out I will be trying something with a little more cushion.
iamkickstand

Postby bikerector » April 16th, 2013, 12:37 pm

I imagine this would apply to mtb'ing as well, but if your saddle hurts your ass, pedal harder or get lighter. By all means, a good saddle is a golden ticket but the less pressure on your package the more comfortable you will feel. The worst saddles I've ever used are wide and pillowy, they get in the gouche and numb it all to heck. Thick legs and wide saddles don't mix. Seems like many stock saddles are like this, maybe for test riding in regular pants?

A good pair of shorts compliments a saddle nicely. A craptastic chamois is not your friend in any situation.

If the saddle is uncomfortable to start, don't dismiss it immediately. It can take a good deal of time to get the seat tilt and such figured out to keep the bits happy. I've also found some saddles take several hours (or weeks, like a brooks) of riding to "break-in" while some are comfy almost immediately.

Biggest thing is finding what your body likes, and sometimes that will change. I used to like a completely flat top but my cadence has significantly increased over the last year of riding and racing and now I prefer something with a little more curve to it.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby irishpitbull » April 16th, 2013, 1:34 pm

bikerector wrote:I imagine this would apply to mtb'ing as well, but if your saddle hurts your ass, pedal harder or get lighter. By all means, a good saddle is a golden ticket but the less pressure on your package the more comfortable you will feel. The worst saddles I've ever used are wide and pillowy, they get in the gouche and numb it all to heck. Thick legs and wide saddles don't mix. Seems like many stock saddles are like this, maybe for test riding in regular pants?

A good pair of shorts compliments a saddle nicely. A craptastic chamois is not your friend in any situation.

If the saddle is uncomfortable to start, don't dismiss it immediately. It can take a good deal of time to get the seat tilt and such figured out to keep the bits happy. I've also found some saddles take several hours (or weeks, like a brooks) of riding to "break-in" while some are comfy almost immediately.

Biggest thing is finding what your body likes, and sometimes that will change. I used to like a completely flat top but my cadence has significantly increased over the last year of riding and racing and now I prefer something with a little more curve to it.

+1 The best saddle in the world will still suck if tilt is off or chamois sucks. And don't for the liberal use of a$$ cream.
14 S-Works Epic
14 Yeti ARC-C
13 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
15 Borealis Echo Carbondale
irishpitbull

Postby Ricky Billy » April 16th, 2013, 3:05 pm

irishpitbull wrote:
bikerector wrote:I imagine this would apply to mtb'ing as well, but if your saddle hurts your ass, pedal harder or get lighter. By all means, a good saddle is a golden ticket but the less pressure on your package the more comfortable you will feel. The worst saddles I've ever used are wide and pillowy, they get in the gouche and numb it all to heck. Thick legs and wide saddles don't mix. Seems like many stock saddles are like this, maybe for test riding in regular pants?

+1 The best saddle in the world will still suck if tilt is off or chamois sucks. And don't for the liberal use of a$$ cream.

ive never really had a problem yet thats why i am worried about getting a bad one. i have worn Fox sargent, and pearl izumi's shorts and have liked them. but i dont put in too many miles. I did find in the beginning that possitioning of the seat is very important. My legs would go numb and i found my seat needed to be tilted down in front a bit. has been great since then.

I would have purchased the same saddle but wanted to match with colors :roll: ...Will see if that turns out to be a bad idea
Ricky Billy

Postby iamkickstand » April 16th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Chamois butt'r .... Life saver
iamkickstand

Postby jalopy jockey » April 17th, 2013, 5:56 am

iamkickstand wrote:Chamois butt'r .... Life saver

Is d to need it for an hour long ride in July. Thinking it may have been something I could have used on last weekends 3hour ride. Sure it helps but the right saddle is the right saddle and goes a long way.

Sure you can find ways to avoid fixing the saddle to mitigate the issue, but what is a new saddle worth to my asses comfort? Quite a bit.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby Ricky Billy » April 17th, 2013, 7:05 am

jalopy jockey wrote:
mtbfree wrote:

Ah but what WTB saddle? The Speed V is an ass hatchet as are many other WTB saddles while I have a Silverado on 3 mountain bikes two of which are proven for long haul comfort and the 3rd is a new bike and still being dialed in. I have a Devo on my cross bike. I can swap the Silverado to the cross bike or the Devo to a MTB but with diminished comfort over the long haul.

Its a WTB Rocket V. came with the bike.
Ricky Billy

Postby c0nsumer » April 17th, 2013, 7:29 am

Ricky Billy wrote:Its a WTB Rocket V. came with the bike.

Look up the widths on WTB's site for a good starting point. They roughly translate to Specialized's width.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Ricky Billy » May 9th, 2013, 7:14 am

After only 2 rides and about 20 miles i can say the saddle is fine. well...it hasent been a pain in the butt :D . so the Iodine 11 gets a passing grade from me.
Hoping to start doing multiple laps this year. one is starting to not feel like enough.
Ricky Billy

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques