29er hard tail or 26" FS??????

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: 29er hard tail or 26" FS??????

Postby iamkickstand » April 18th, 2013, 10:36 am

ColorVoyeur wrote:Clearly they don't.

Personally, I like my suspension being consistent. I'd rather a rigid than a bad fork.

I also like my front wheel to remain in controlled contact with the ground for some of those highly skilled maneuvers like TURNING!

Forks without adequate rebound damping (I'm looking at you stock SR Suntours) ride like pogo sticks. You lose front end control and any semblance of front braking.

I'm not good enough for a front brake anyway... maybe I'm not skilled enough to join this lovely conversation either.

:mrgreen:
iamkickstand

Postby Ricky Billy » April 18th, 2013, 10:45 am

arguing about components is babbling.
Shake - N - bake!! Shut your d*mn hole chip!!!
Ricky Billy

Postby iamkickstand » April 18th, 2013, 10:50 am

Ricky Billy wrote:arguing about components is babbling.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=118503

Color coded saddles and wondering how they'll perform later is babbling.

10 years ago I thought arguing about components was babbling, then I got better, then I thought arguing about components was just heresay, no way you could notice a difference, then I got faster, then I rode a cheap bike with cheap components. Then I knew not only could I feel a difference, but it was important to me.

But, I'm sure in the 6 months you've gotten serious about mountain biking you clearly can tell the difference.

Ricky Billy wrote:
mtbfree wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:"One man's Lay-Z-Boy is another man's ass hatchet."

Great phrase... I'm gonna remember that one.

To the OP: Everything Steve said is spot on. There are a few shops around with saddle try-out programs... Trails Edge in Milford comes to mind, but I could be wrong on that one. I like WTB saddles because they fit my ass well, but my ass is probably different than your ass, so don't take my word for it.

Make sure you report back after you get some miles on that Iodine saddle. You'll know if it was a good choice or not after three or four rides on it.

Thanks, i currently have a WTB saddle as well, But (no pun intended) i am new to mountain biking as of 2 summers ago and dont know anything different. all i know is my rear has done well on the WTB. it is just starting to wear down the material on the nose. I will hopefully have the Iodine 11 ready by sunday for a ride... hopefully at the Tree farm.

Riding a 2006 Giant Trance 2. 2.4 tires :shock: , WTB as well... havent gone down in a corner yet (dont know anything different). Got it for $900 3 years ago. First real bike and i love it. Just went 1X9 with a 36 in the front...Love that as well!I will post my review when i have an opinion.

Sounds to me, like you went out and spent some money on some decent components....that you didn't know anything different about....now, go ride some other things and come back and let us know your findings, I am sure everything else out there will perform exactly the same as what you have.

Even further, make some rebound and compression changes on your anthem (assuming you have good enough suspension to actually feel the difference) and report your findings.
iamkickstand

Postby iamkickstand » April 18th, 2013, 11:17 am

DustinB726 wrote:I know that they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!! and I'm stuck
Currently Riding a 26" Specialized Camber Comp

Looking at a 2013 Trek Superfly Carbon Frame, and a 2013 Fuel EX8

I ride pretty hard, log a lot of miles at Stoney, and Bloomer, and hope to go to Pontiac Lake more this year too.
I like the feel of the Superfly, It's FAST!!! I feel like I would be SO much faster on this bike
However, I am afraid of giving up the versatility of a full suspension bike, and I am also in love with the EX8.
I don't race and don't really plan to, but I feel like if I had the 29er I might just go for it.

Either bike will be a huge upgrade from where I am at.

Anybody have some good advise for me???

Thank in advance

Dustin

The Camber comp has "somewhat" similar geometry to my fuel ex8, though the rear suspension designs are different.

If you want to be faster the hardtail 29'er will be faster in our area in my opinion. It is going to come down to riding style. You're comparing a 100mm XC oriented 29'er hardtail to a 130mm travel 26" "trail" bike.

29'er will be lighter, pedal better, climb better
Fuel will descend better, corner differently and jump better

the new ex is everything I wish my older frame was. (iscg mounting tabs, carbon offering, internal cable routing, 15mm front and 142x12 rear)
Last edited by iamkickstand on April 18th, 2013, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamkickstand

Postby Ricky Billy » April 18th, 2013, 11:19 am

iamkickstand wrote:
Ricky Billy wrote:arguing about components is babbling.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=118503

Color coded saddles and wondering how they'll perform later is babbling.

10 years ago I thought arguing about components was babbling, then I got better, then I thought arguing about components was just heresay, no way you could notice a difference, then I got faster, then I rode a cheap bike with cheap components. Then I knew not only could I feel a difference, but it was important to me.

But, I'm sure in the 6 months you've gotten serious about mountain biking you clearly can tell the difference.

Ricky Billy wrote:
mtbfree wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:"One man's Lay-Z-Boy is another man's ass hatchet."

Great phrase... I'm gonna remember that one.

To the OP: Everything Steve said is spot on. There are a few shops around with saddle try-out programs... Trails Edge in Milford comes to mind, but I could be wrong on that one. I like WTB saddles because they fit my ass well, but my ass is probably different than your ass, so don't take my word for it.

Make sure you report back after you get some miles on that Iodine saddle. You'll know if it was a good choice or not after three or four rides on it.

Thanks, i currently have a WTB saddle as well, But (no pun intended) i am new to mountain biking as of 2 summers ago and dont know anything different. all i know is my rear has done well on the WTB. it is just starting to wear down the material on the nose. I will hopefully have the Iodine 11 ready by sunday for a ride... hopefully at the Tree farm.

Riding a 2006 Giant Trance 2. 2.4 tires :shock: , WTB as well... havent gone down in a corner yet (dont know anything different). Got it for $900 3 years ago. First real bike and i love it. Just went 1X9 with a 36 in the front...Love that as well!I will post my review when i have an opinion.

Sounds to me, like you went out and spent some money on some decent components....that you didn't know anything different about....now, go ride some other things and come back and let us know your findings, I am sure everything else out there will perform exactly the same as what you have.

Even further, make some rebound and compression changes on your anthem (assuming you have good enough suspension to actually feel the difference) and report your findings.

ok guys im a troll... But the real question is... tastles... not yes or no, but what color... and also, should i wear my thongs under my Chamois? thanks for the advise and lighten up a bit?...
Ricky Billy

Postby ColorVoyeur » April 18th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Ricky Bobby, if you want to give terrible advice to others, go for it. If you do it on a public forum, you are going to be refuted. Welcome to life son.
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby ibisman » April 18th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Read the new ( May 2013) issue of Mountain Bike action magazine. They test specialized stumpjumpers in both 29"and 26" sizes. Read the test and make up your own mind...don't listen to those who have fallen for marketing gimmicks.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,551.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1028---miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Postby jfactor! » April 18th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Ricky Billy wrote:
ok guys im a troll... But the real question is... tastles... not yes or no, but what color... and also, should i wear my thongs under my Chamois? thanks for the advise and lighten up a bit?...

LOL!!!
jfactor!

Postby Ricky Billy » April 19th, 2013, 6:23 am

ColorVoyeur wrote:Ricky Bobby, if you want to give terrible advice to others, go for it. If you do it on a public forum, you are going to be refuted. Welcome to life son.

i didnt really give any advice... just an opinion. he was the one calling people babblers. maybe they are friends and i didnt know that. but seamed a bit overreactive, no sence of humor just :x .

thanks dad! :lol: your sombodys son too! :roll:
Ricky Billy

Postby Genetic_ » April 22nd, 2013, 11:37 am

Rebound damping isn't as important? Sorry. Is that piling on?
Genetic_

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 22nd, 2013, 12:56 pm

I suggest an FS frame with rigid fork running 650b.
CraveSingletrack

Postby jfactor! » April 22nd, 2013, 1:57 pm

kyleRIG29er wrote:I suggest an FS frame with rigid fork running 650b.

^this
jfactor!

Postby AllMountin' » April 22nd, 2013, 3:28 pm

+1

It's all about max plush rear with rigid front. Best bet is to pick up an 8" DH bike and convert to a carbon fork.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Doc_d » April 25th, 2013, 10:06 am

I have a 26" Epic FS and a 29" stumpjumper HT. I ride all over but live near PLRA so ride that the most.

Anyone who says a 29er HT rides like a 26 FS is nuts. Two laps of PLRA on the 29er HT beats the crap out of me compared to the 26 FS. The 26 FS is more confidence inspiring in the high speed rough sections. The 26 FS is probably a little more fun to ride. With that being said, my times at PLRA are consistently noticeably faster on the 29er HT.
Doc_d

Postby DustinB726 » April 25th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Thanks to everybody who chimed in with good advise.
I'm going 29 HT
I started out on a HT, and understand the difference in demand on the rider. You have to work a lot harder on the rough stuff, but in trade you get more "feel" and a huge advantage in the climbs. I'm 26 years old, in good physical shape, only weigh 145lbs, and so I can climb like a bat out of *beep* when I need to. This summer I'm working on technique and endurance. I will be timing my rides to measure my progress, and my goal is 1000 TRAIL miles. That won't include riding to and from work and such. I've ridden both bikes numerous times and have decided that the FEEL of the 29er is just right for me.... now just gotta decide the trim level!!! haha
As I said in my initial post, I'm not planning to race, but I am hugely competitive, so I do have an interest. Not to call anybody out, but somebody made a comment that buying a race ready bike would be like driving a STOCK CAR (not a nascar) to the grocery store. I am a gear head, car enthusiast, bike enthusiast, *beep* I like anything with wheels, I would drive an 850hp race car up and down the street all day if somebody would let me. The point is, when we spend our hard earned money on thing we simply "WANT" and don't need, it's o.k. to go overboard because it excites us and keep us interested. In some cases (those of you who race) you may NEED to buy these things to get that competitive advantage, but for the rest of us its just a very expensive hobby that keeps us in great shape and gets us out of the house to have so freaking fun.
Do I need a 2x10 drivetrain... no
Do I need a full carbon frame... no
Do I need a new bike at all... no
But I'm gonna get one because I want to and I have the means to.
I don't like hearing people "get snotty" about these sorts of things because in the end, this is something that we all enjoy. A job for some, a passion for all of us.
So lets all enjoy this awesome sport, and I'll see you on the trails!! and then we can grab a beer and argue about who's bike is better!!! HAHA!!
Dustin
DustinB726

PreviousNext

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques