29er hard tail or 26" FS??????

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

29er hard tail or 26" FS??????

Postby DustinB726 » April 12th, 2013, 6:19 pm

I know that they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!! and I'm stuck
Currently Riding a 26" Specialized Camber Comp

Looking at a 2013 Trek Superfly Carbon Frame, and a 2013 Fuel EX8

I ride pretty hard, log a lot of miles at Stoney, and Bloomer, and hope to go to Pontiac Lake more this year too.
I like the feel of the Superfly, It's FAST!!! I feel like I would be SO much faster on this bike
However, I am afraid of giving up the versatility of a full suspension bike, and I am also in love with the EX8.
I don't race and don't really plan to, but I feel like if I had the 29er I might just go for it.

Either bike will be a huge upgrade from where I am at.

Anybody have some good advise for me???

Thank in advance

Dustin
DustinB726

Re: 29er hard tail or 26" FS??????

Postby balexander87 » April 12th, 2013, 6:48 pm

For starters, look here.

You will quickly find that this is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseum. Each have their advantages. Each has their drawbacks. The topics in the link above will provide some insight into what those advantages and drawbacks are, but you'll find most come down to personal preference. In the end, what do you have the most fun on? 26" FS? Go for it! 29er hardtail? More power to ya! The important thing is that you get something that you enjoy and will get you out on the trails as much as possible.
balexander87

Postby iamkickstand » April 12th, 2013, 7:19 pm

can't really help you with your decision, but I have an older trek fuel ex8 (2009) and I absolutely love it. The bike is a riot.
iamkickstand

Postby Sortaslow » April 12th, 2013, 7:23 pm

Everyone is riding a 650b this season. 26 is out. 29ers are so yesterday.
Sortaslow

Postby MediumRB » April 12th, 2013, 8:25 pm

So I ride a 26" frame with either a 29" rigid carbon or 29" suspension fork (and dirt drop bars). Usually my wheels are 650b front and rear, but sometimes I run a 26" rear wheel, and this year I have a 29'r front wheel in rotation. Mind you all this is for under $1000* and I pound the heck out of Pontiac Lake and Highland. So my vote is for a versatile platform and do it all. There are plenty of frames out there that will take a 650b rear** and you can always swap forks around. I have no idea what my bike's intended geometry is supposed to be and I do not care.

*Seriously. I do work eBay, shop around, and put it all together myself, but a good bike need not cost that much. Of course I only have a front brake and no derailleurs...

**Not quite as many options if you require good sliding dropouts for fixed-gear or freewheel, but there are still options.
Everything I ride makes sense.
MediumRB

Postby jfactor! » April 14th, 2013, 8:29 pm

You'd be a perfect candidate for the upcoming demo day. I'd assume that they'll have both of those options available to ride since Trek's a major brand. It'd give you a much better idea of which will serve you better.
jfactor!

Postby flamingo » April 17th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Yesterday I had my first ride at Pontiac on my 29er hardtail (winter project). It was my first ride on a 29er ever. My other bike is a 26er FS. Both bikes are made from the same material, their weight is within 1lb and both have 100mm of front travel. I was going to wait a bit to write a more comprehensive comparison, but since the question popped out I will give my first impressions. First of all when I started the ride, except for the hardtail effect I did not notice much difference in handling of the bike. I felt pretty much at home. The thing that you have to get used to riding a 29er did not apply at all.
Speed or Comfort, maybe not.
. That sums it all up. 26FS absolutely rides better than a 29er HT. The biggest difference is on the downhills with roots or rocks. The 29HT shakes like *beep* to the point of being difficult to maintain control. From all the stuff I heard before about 29er to be smooth and roll over obstacles like a tank, I think there is a big exaggeration in that statement. I still felt all the bumps on the front wheel and honestly did not notice much difference over 26er. As for the speed factor I did not notice it during the ride, but when I finished it and looked at my stopwatch I realized that I did quite better than I did previous years on my first ride of the season at Pontiac. The biggest difference to the advantage of the 29er that I felt, was during the climbs. I don't know whether this is attributed mostly to the fact of the bicycle being hardtail or a 29er, but I definitively felt them easier specially on the Puke Hill. I need to get few more rides on the 29er to get better opinion, but at this point if I had to keep only one bike it would be the 26er FS. I would not be able to keep up with the 29er crowd on Strava but I would sacrifice that for a softer ride and better handling.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby Sortaslow » April 17th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Hmm. Time for a 29 fs then!
Sortaslow

Postby Ricky Billy » April 19th, 2013, 6:23 am

ColorVoyeur wrote:Ricky Bobby, if you want to give terrible advice to others, go for it. If you do it on a public forum, you are going to be refuted. Welcome to life son.

i didnt really give any advice... just an opinion. he was the one calling people babblers. maybe they are friends and i didnt know that. but seamed a bit overreactive, no sence of humor just :x .

thanks dad! :lol: your sombodys son too! :roll:
Shake - N - bake!! Shut your d*mn hole chip!!!
Ricky Billy

Postby Doc_d » April 25th, 2013, 10:06 am

I have a 26" Epic FS and a 29" stumpjumper HT. I ride all over but live near PLRA so ride that the most.

Anyone who says a 29er HT rides like a 26 FS is nuts. Two laps of PLRA on the 29er HT beats the crap out of me compared to the 26 FS. The 26 FS is more confidence inspiring in the high speed rough sections. The 26 FS is probably a little more fun to ride. With that being said, my times at PLRA are consistently noticeably faster on the 29er HT.
Doc_d

Postby DustinB726 » April 25th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Thanks to everybody who chimed in with good advise.
I'm going 29 HT
I started out on a HT, and understand the difference in demand on the rider. You have to work a lot harder on the rough stuff, but in trade you get more "feel" and a huge advantage in the climbs. I'm 26 years old, in good physical shape, only weigh 145lbs, and so I can climb like a bat out of *beep* when I need to. This summer I'm working on technique and endurance. I will be timing my rides to measure my progress, and my goal is 1000 TRAIL miles. That won't include riding to and from work and such. I've ridden both bikes numerous times and have decided that the FEEL of the 29er is just right for me.... now just gotta decide the trim level!!! haha
As I said in my initial post, I'm not planning to race, but I am hugely competitive, so I do have an interest. Not to call anybody out, but somebody made a comment that buying a race ready bike would be like driving a STOCK CAR (not a nascar) to the grocery store. I am a gear head, car enthusiast, bike enthusiast, *beep* I like anything with wheels, I would drive an 850hp race car up and down the street all day if somebody would let me. The point is, when we spend our hard earned money on thing we simply "WANT" and don't need, it's o.k. to go overboard because it excites us and keep us interested. In some cases (those of you who race) you may NEED to buy these things to get that competitive advantage, but for the rest of us its just a very expensive hobby that keeps us in great shape and gets us out of the house to have so freaking fun.
Do I need a 2x10 drivetrain... no
Do I need a full carbon frame... no
Do I need a new bike at all... no
But I'm gonna get one because I want to and I have the means to.
I don't like hearing people "get snotty" about these sorts of things because in the end, this is something that we all enjoy. A job for some, a passion for all of us.
So lets all enjoy this awesome sport, and I'll see you on the trails!! and then we can grab a beer and argue about who's bike is better!!! HAHA!!
Dustin
DustinB726

Postby flamingo » May 4th, 2013, 11:42 pm

Do I need a 2x10 drivetrain... no
Do I need a full carbon frame... no
Do I need a new bike at all... no
But I'm gonna get one because I want to and I have the means to.

Go for it !
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques