Specialized shoes-Boa closure reliable?

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Specialized shoes-Boa closure reliable?

Postby SteveF » April 9th, 2013, 6:56 am

In the market (casually-my Dominators are stinky and sad looking but intact) for new shoes and I like the Specialized road models I bought a year or so ago. Thinking I might try a pair of their mtb shoes. The ones I'm looking at have the new Boa closure at the top--are folks finding this system pretty reliable? If it fails, are the two velcro straps sufficient to pedal-limp out of the woods? It has a lifetime warranty but I'm more concerned about getting stuck 10 miles from the trailhead than replacement cost...

Thanks! Steve
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Re: Specialized shoes-Boa closure reliable?

Postby pfox90 » April 9th, 2013, 8:22 am

I would imagine you would be good Steve. They have been around quite some time on snow shoes you might wanna check out durability reviews on that side. Should be a lot of info. They are a sweet set up and are easy to replace should they break but obviously we don't want a break mid ride
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby irishpitbull » April 9th, 2013, 8:31 am

pfox90 wrote:I would imagine you would be good Steve. They have been around quite some time on snow shoes you might wanna check out durability reviews on that side. Should be a lot of info. They are a sweet set up and are easy to replace should they break but obviously we don't want a break mid ride

This ^ and Specialized's warranty claims department is pretty awesome. I used them about two months ago and both the shop (Two Wheel Tango Canton) and Specialized went above and beyond.
14 S-Works Epic
14 Yeti ARC-C
13 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
15 Borealis Echo Carbondale
irishpitbull

Postby b_b » April 9th, 2013, 8:32 am

Cool! No experience with the bike shoes, but my 2 boys have Boa snowboard boots. I was real skeptical, but they work awesome (way better than laces)! They tighten up real good and fast and stay tight. My only slight concern would be if the wires could wear into the guides over time since mtb shoe would get more usage, but should not be a problem if designed properly. With that said I have nothing against traditional ratchets and doubt I'd pay extra for Boa.
b_b

Postby SteveF » April 9th, 2013, 9:02 am

Yeah, I've got 4 seasons on a set of Boa-equipped Lake winter boots with no issues whatsoever, and I like the way they really let you fine tune the fit. The design of the Specialized version is a bit different but I may take a chance on it.

...doubt I'd pay extra for Boa.

I agree, but the shoes I'm looking at have other features that appeal as well. So it's more like "should I take a chance on the Boa to get this shoe," than "I'm gonna get this shoe 'cause it has a Boa!"

Thanks, folks--more input welcome before I plunk down my dollars!
SteveF

Postby i69whitey » April 9th, 2013, 9:14 am

Steve,
I finally had a 'lace' fail on my lake boots this past winter, velcro held some to get back to the car but not great. these boots had at least four or five seasons on them.
BOA's warrantee service was spectacular, even sent me an extra set for the other side. no I keep a spare in my Camelbak just like I keep a SIDI buckle in the summer.
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby xcrdr » April 9th, 2013, 11:04 am

I have the Specialized Rime. Got it when they first came out. Love em. Boa is great for me. On long rides I love to loosen or tighten for comfort. They have held up well through some muddy rides.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby SteveF » April 9th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Thanks, Don-that's the shoe I'm considering,too...
SteveF

Postby almostolen » April 9th, 2013, 6:07 pm

I have had the s-work shoes with the boa for 3-4 years now. They have improved upon them since then, but i have had my lace break at mile 50 of a 100 mile race and it was impossible to finish. I always carry just enough duct tape to wrap my shoe in case that ever happens again. I have also had some troulde releasing the lace when taking the shoe off. It tends to get stuck in there. I also do not lime that you need a special tool to open up the boa system...no on trail fixing unless you carry the (small) tool. I am almost ready to get new shoes because even though i replaced both laces at the end of last season, one is showing bar wire and i imagine might break soon. Hope this helps.
almostolen

Postby SteveF » April 10th, 2013, 7:04 am

Thanks for the input everyone--I had my local Speshy dealer order a pair in my size. The manager is a cool guy and he said he'd just add them to stock if I didn't want them so I'm not obligated. "How can you know if they're for you if you can't try on your size," sez he. So true.

I think the new Boa version can be removed with a 3mm hex, so I might buy a spare and keep it in my Camelback. I was also thinking a zip tie around the shoe would hold it well enough to get me home if it failed on the trail...

Anyway, new kicks just in time for this muddy weather! (think I'll keep my battered but faithful Sidi's around for back up and foul weather wear.)
Last edited by SteveF on April 10th, 2013, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveF

Postby AllMountin' » April 10th, 2013, 7:38 am

Good call on the zip tie. I think I'll keep a couple in my pack for that purpose. I picked up some fancy Scott BOA laced shoes, but haven't used them yet.

I would never expect any shoe to last 4 plus years. If I get a couple, I'll be happy. I know my current shoes are all but destroyed after two seasons.

I don't trust plastic buckles either, and my velcro straps separated over time. Nothing is perfect.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby i69whitey » April 10th, 2013, 7:47 am

Always keep a couple zip-ties, a little electric tape, spare SIDI buckle, piece 'o chain 'n a couple quick-links.
Steve, correct, the latest BOA stuff is all hex screws.
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby SteveF » April 10th, 2013, 8:35 am

AllMountin' wrote:Good call on the zip tie. I think I'll keep a couple in my pack for that purpose. I picked up some fancy Scott BOA laced shoes, but haven't used them yet.

I would never expect any shoe to last 4 plus years. If I get a couple, I'll be happy. I know my current shoes are all but destroyed after two seasons.

I don't trust plastic buckles either, and my velcro straps separated over time. Nothing is perfect.

FWIW, the ratchet buckles on my Sidis have outlasted the velcro straps. The ratchets still work but the 'cro hardly sticks anymore and won't stay tight.

You are much MUCH harder on your gear than I, my friend. You're a bigger guy, you ride harder, put in more miles, and try more intense stuff. I can count on a couple of fingers the stuff I've replaced because it actually wore out or broke as opposed to me getting tired of it or interested in something new and just swapping it out for the latest and greatest... :roll:

i69whitey wrote:Always keep a couple zip-ties, a little electric tape, spare SIDI buckle, piece 'o chain 'n a couple quick-links.
Steve, correct, the latest BOA stuff is all hex screws.

Yeah, I have a few turns of duct tape around my mini pump for emergencies. Actually used some to stick down a front disc brake line for a fellow at Yankee Springs when his cable guide disappeared. Red Green would've been proud. Zip ties are surprisingly tricky to carry in a camelback--they like to poke through stuff and disappear. I should keep them in a little plastic pill bottle or something.
SteveF

Postby kc8swy » April 21st, 2013, 5:17 am

Anytime the boa is hard to release you need to replace the laces, which are free direct from boa. Essentially what happens is the plastic coating will wear off and bunch up causing the release to be hard. The trick is to replace the aces at the first sign of this and don't wait.

I would most definitely buy more boa based products. Love 'em
kc8swy

Postby KonaNiner » April 21st, 2013, 9:00 am

Never had Specialized but have had Boa. Works good.
KonaNiner

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques