WalMart, Fat Bikes, makes sense to me.

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: WalMart, Fat Bikes, makes sense to me.

Postby utabintarbo » April 22nd, 2013, 1:14 pm

mitmoe wrote:...

My concern with drilling the rims is that I'm a heavy guy and need them as strong as possible. Should I be concerned? I'm about 290lbs.

Until recently, I was about your size, and I run holey Darryl's on my fat bike (see sig). I ride it everywhere, and don't concern myself with wheel strength too much. If you do go the self-drilled route, keep it to ~1.25" hole size (this is on the slightly conservative side), and have an LBS with a good wheel guy check them over afterwards. Don't forget to de-burr!

mitmoe wrote:Walgoose or not, I think it looks great and I like riding it.

It does, and that's all that matters! :D
utabintarbo

Postby mitmoe » April 22nd, 2013, 7:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the compliments and encouragement.
mitmoe

Postby deezler » April 26th, 2013, 11:23 am

whoa, hadn't seen this walgoose beast before. Someone should put together a cheap, but solid, basic upgrade kit for it.
deezler

Postby b_b » April 26th, 2013, 2:21 pm

mitmoe wrote:I have one of the fatbikes and I think it's great! I cannot afford a $1000+ bike, so with a few upgrades, this is doing just fine. I have changed the crank set, seat and post, bars and stem, and tires. It went from 49lbs to 38lbs. The next thing I will do is put disc brakes front and rear.

Sweet 38# ain't bad at all for these pigs :) I think your typical fatty in the $1500 range weighs that much (with gears).
b_b

Postby utabintarbo » April 26th, 2013, 9:04 pm

b_b wrote:
mitmoe wrote:I have one of the fatbikes and I think it's great! I cannot afford a $1000+ bike, so with a few upgrades, this is doing just fine. I have changed the crank set, seat and post, bars and stem, and tires. It went from 49lbs to 38lbs. The next thing I will do is put disc brakes front and rear.

Sweet 38# ain't bad at all for these pigs :) I think your typical fatty in the $1500 range weighs that much (with gears).

My Large Pugsley from 2011(?) was just under 41 lbs. stock. :P
utabintarbo

Postby SteveF » April 27th, 2013, 5:46 am

mitmoe wrote:I added just over $100 to this bike to upgrade. Quill adapter, seat and post shim, pedals, grips came from parts pile. Stem and bars were take offs from a LBS $15. Bought crankset from ebay$45 I think, and tires were I think $70.

My concern with drilling the rims is that I'm a heavy guy and need them as strong as possible. Should I be concerned? I'm about 290lbs.

Walgoose or not, I think it looks great and I like riding it.

Thanks for the compliments. Glad to see the MMBA is still not filled with douchebags. You guys get it. The economy isn't great here. I'm still recovering from a two year stretch of unemployment. Everything I add to this bike will transfer to a different brand if this frame fails....but maybe not.

Glad you were able to make this bike work for you. It sounds like your situation is pretty unique--you had a parts stash and knowledge of how and what to upgrade. And being unemployed sucks--I hope things turn around for you. But I don't think as a general rule that steering people away from big box bikes is a bad idea or makes us "douchebags."
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby mitmoe » April 28th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Judging a person and/or his ride based on price and where it was bought from.....with no knowledge of the bike is elitist and shallow. This thing hit the market and people instantly started bashing it....never even laying eyes on one. Those are the douchebags I'm speaking of. Encouraging someone to purchase the best they can afford and supporting your LBS is always the best idea.

I am employed, but over a two year time period without an income, I dug a pretty deep hole....I'm getting there slowly but surely.

I ordered a set of clamp on cantilever brake posts for the front I will get the rest of the brake parts next week, then I will have front brakes! The idea came from Manual Beastly, the guy who brought a Mongoose Beast to the Sea Otter Classic and stole the show! Check out the media on this guy and his bike...it's great! In a month or so I will get the disc brakes on the rear. I already have the hub, just need the rest. After that, I'm done upgrading for a while. Oh yea I forgot...I have a sealed YST BSA bottom bracket too for $8 waiting to go on. I think I saw somewhere there are good headsets for under $20 for this thing too.

Again, thanks for all the kind words.
mitmoe

Postby SteveF » April 29th, 2013, 7:05 am

Judging a person and/or his ride based on price and where it was bought from.....with no knowledge of the bike is elitist and shallow.

OR being concerned for someone's safety when they are riding an unsafe bike when they could have bought a decent one for not that much more money is helpful. We're just coming at this from different directions, I think. It's not elitist to be concerned about someone's safety and long term investment. ($150 for a bike that's unsafe right out of the Big Box vs. maybe twice that for a bike that's a little bit nicer but more importantly is properly assembled)

You've made several upgrades to this bike to make it lighter, safer and more enjoyable to ride. Someone that doesn't have the knowledge and spare parts to do so (ie, most people that would buy this bike) but wants to do some serious riding on it should in my opinion be steered away from it. Now, if they just want it to toodle around the park, that's probably another thing entirely.

Working on a big college campus, I see bikes in all sorts of condition and quality. I've closed quick releases on wheels, reattached brakes, even made minor adjustments to bikes I see on racks that are simply not safe to ride...I don't think that makes me elitists but again, we're talking about two different reactions to big box bikes so I do understand your point. Just want to make sure you understand the distinction I'm trying to make.

Best of luck with your economic turnaround-things are gonna get better!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Mike 373 » April 30th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Mike 373

Postby KLydesdale » April 30th, 2013, 2:40 pm

mitmoe wrote:Judging a person and/or his ride based on price and where it was bought from.....with no knowledge of the bike is elitist and shallow. This thing hit the market and people instantly started bashing it....never even laying eyes on one. Those are the douchebags I'm speaking of. Encouraging someone to purchase the best they can afford and supporting your LBS is always the best idea.

I am employed, but over a two year time period without an income, I dug a pretty deep hole....I'm getting there slowly but surely.

I ordered a set of clamp on cantilever brake posts for the front I will get the rest of the brake parts next week, then I will have front brakes! The idea came from Manual Beastly, the guy who brought a Mongoose Beast to the Sea Otter Classic and stole the show! Check out the media on this guy and his bike...it's great! In a month or so I will get the disc brakes on the rear. I already have the hub, just need the rest. After that, I'm done upgrading for a while. Oh yea I forgot...I have a sealed YST BSA bottom bracket too for $8 waiting to go on. I think I saw somewhere there are good headsets for under $20 for this thing too.

Again, thanks for all the kind words.

What are you doing for a rear disc brake mount?
KLydesdale

Postby mitmoe » April 30th, 2013, 4:22 pm

What are you doing for a rear disc brake mount?

Not sure yet. Most likely make one. I need to buy the brakes and then I can really see what is needed.
mitmoe

Postby johanssont » May 2nd, 2013, 1:04 pm

That was Adam Craig on the Wallygoose. He would pass many of us even if he was riding a tricycle.

The writers were having fun with the back story. That being said I hope walmart/mongoose throws some money his way. I am seriously considering the bike for fun. Think I can drop some weight on it by filling the tires with Helium?
Dirty Thirties
johanssont

Postby jfactor! » May 2nd, 2013, 3:05 pm

johanssont wrote:Think I can drop some weight on it by filling the tires with Helium?

No, but you'll drop some weight riding it. :wink:

I think it'd be cool to tool around town on. Just need to treat it as it was designed...a cool looking beach cruiser
jfactor!

Postby johanssont » May 2nd, 2013, 4:29 pm

I could lose the weight of that bike and still almost qualify for Clydesdale. Seems easier and more realistic to just spend ridiculous amounts of money to drop 3 lbs off the bike. I'm sure that 3 pounds of bike will make me faster than dropping the extra 40 lbs.
Dirty Thirties
johanssont

Postby jfactor! » May 3rd, 2013, 7:31 am

johanssont wrote: I'm sure that 3 pounds of bike will make me faster than dropping the extra 40 lbs.

I seriously hope I'm missing the sarcasm that comment... :shock:
jfactor!

PreviousNext

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques