WalMart, Fat Bikes, makes sense to me.

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: WalMart, Fat Bikes, makes sense to me.

Postby G.Cook » April 2nd, 2013, 4:14 pm

G.Cook

Postby c0nsumer » April 2nd, 2013, 10:04 pm

G.Cook wrote:http://fat-bike.com/2013/04/is-the-walmart-fatbike-really-that-bad/

I kinda want one to play with, but like the post says: “No wonder everyone who buys a Walmart bike thinks riding is hard”

I suspect that BSOs and ill-fitting bikes are one of the main reasons why people think that cycling is hard. I'm really thankful that when I decided I "wanted to get a bike" a few years back I listened to a friend and went to a bike shop instead of getting the "nicer" one from Target or Costco or whatever.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby G.Cook » April 15th, 2013, 10:35 am

G.Cook

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 16th, 2013, 7:34 am

Sounds like a great training tool. Maybe get someone with fab experience to help with the rake issue? After pushing this around all winter, you'd be a beast on an xc rig.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby b_b » April 16th, 2013, 9:06 am

Lipstick on a pig...
b_b

Postby utabintarbo » April 16th, 2013, 9:13 am

kyleRIG29er wrote:Sounds like a great training tool. Maybe get someone with fab experience to help with the rake issue? After pushing this around all winter, you'd be a beast on an xc rig.

What might be easier is to get one of the discount catalog frame builders to come out with a generic fat bike frame. How to approach this is unclear, but if the guy who owns BikesDirect (name escapes me now, but he used to be pretty regularly on MTBR) pushed for it, I'd bet we'd see it. It likely wouldn't be ~$200, but would fall somewhere between that and the Pugsley (~$1500). FWIW, I figure this is inevitable anyway in the near to medium-term future.
utabintarbo

Postby mitmoe » April 20th, 2013, 10:52 pm

I have one of the fatbikes and I think it's great! I cannot afford a $1000+ bike, so with a few upgrades, this is doing just fine. I have changed the crank set, seat and post, bars and stem, and tires. It went from 49lbs to 38lbs. The next thing I will do is put disc brakes front and rear

mitmoe

Postby AllMountin' » April 20th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Noice! Black out those rims and that's one sexy ride. Really like the color.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby jfactor! » April 21st, 2013, 1:08 pm

Get a hole saw and drill out the rims. It not only looks cool, it'll shave some weight for almost no money.
jfactor!

Postby glr » April 21st, 2013, 7:57 pm

So on top of the bike cost, how much did you sink into it? It does actually look pretty cool for a Walgoose!
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby rvd » April 21st, 2013, 9:17 pm

Walgoose race monster. Manuel Beastly entered the Dual Slalom at Seaotter on one of these tanks. Link 2

rvd

Postby mitmoe » April 22nd, 2013, 10:49 am

I added just over $100 to this bike to upgrade. Quill adapter, seat and post shim, pedals, grips came from parts pile. Stem and bars were take offs from a LBS $15. Bought crankset from ebay$45 I think, and tires were I think $70.

My concern with drilling the rims is that I'm a heavy guy and need them as strong as possible. Should I be concerned? I'm about 290lbs.

Walgoose or not, I think it looks great and I like riding it.

Thanks for the compliments. Glad to see the MMBA is still not filled with douchebags. You guys get it. The economy isn't great here. I'm still recovering from a two year stretch of unemployment. Everything I add to this bike will transfer to a different brand if this frame fails....but maybe not.
mitmoe

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 22nd, 2013, 10:49 am

Going to even a rear disc and getting rid of the kick brake would be nice.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby glr » April 22nd, 2013, 11:05 am

Certainly wasn't poking any fun at you, I think its great that you made some needed improvements on the bike. Since I read the links attached to the thread about the bike I was interested to do the exact thing that you are doing. I to would like a fattie, but the sticker on a entry level pugs is well out of my range. I was just interested on how much you have to put in the bike to make it better than what it is coming straight from Walmart. Way to go on the project so far, your doing what I think many of us are probably going to do, I just wanted to know if you were approaching the mid range (between Walmart and pugs) on your price to make the bike really ready to go. It does look great!
Grass Lake S+T Park - TC
<><
glr

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 22nd, 2013, 11:19 am

How does that one ride? The article made it sound like the geometry was sketchy.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

PreviousNext

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques