Krampus

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Krampus

Postby pfox90 » May 12th, 2013, 4:55 pm

What size did you end up going with it seems kind of large. I have a large pug but it looks way bigger. Does all the green stuff come on the bike or did you build yours up. Looking at the 10 sp slx option.
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby Sortaslow » May 12th, 2013, 5:10 pm

I built mine up. Normal builds are mostly black components.
I bought a medium. I'm 5'9". I love short tt usually, so I went with a 60mm stem. Works well, fits like a glove. The 60 is twitchy though. Might go to 70. Reach should still be fine. It's comfy so....

I would have done a small as my karate monkey, but I get toe overlap on that bike so chancing it again was not on the agenda.
Sortaslow

Postby CraveSingletrack » May 15th, 2013, 8:34 am

Man that looks fun! And only weighs 2lbs more than the bike I race, lol.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby c0nsumer » May 15th, 2013, 8:42 am

Sortaslow let me tool around on his a bit at Stony last night. I only rode a bit of two track and rooty things along the edge of the entrance trail, but it was pretty neat. The bike felt like a split between my fatbike and a rigid 29er. I can see it being a nice bike. (I just wish his frame larger so I could ask to take it for a longer ride...;))
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby G.Cook » May 15th, 2013, 8:51 am

Some one I know just bought a Lg. Krampus . Rides the Poto and gave it a great revue. That was geared but he could see it also being a great SS for the Poto. Seems like the perfect HCP bike. I understand he will be selling in the near future and that Lg. sounds like a good fit.. :wink:
G.Cook

Postby CraveSingletrack » May 17th, 2013, 9:20 pm

G.Cook wrote:Some one I know just bought a Lg. Krampus . Rides the Poto and gave it a great revue. That was geared but he could see it also being a great SS for the Poto. Seems like the perfect HCP bike. I understand he will be selling in the near future and that Lg. sounds like a good fit.. :wink:

HCP?
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby G.Cook » May 17th, 2013, 10:10 pm

High Country Pathway -HCP
G.Cook

Postby G.Cook » July 15th, 2013, 10:09 am

Seeing some great reviews and hearing good things about this rig ;
http://fat-bike.com/2013/07/so-hows-that-krampus-ride/
G.Cook

Postby clydeone » July 15th, 2013, 12:27 pm

G.Cook wrote:Some one I know just bought a Lg. Krampus . Rides the Poto and gave it a great revue. That was geared but he could see it also being a great SS for the Poto. Seems like the perfect HCP bike. I understand he will be selling in the near future and that Lg. sounds like a good fit.. :wink:

I am hoping to make it out to Poto next week for my first ride there, ever! Will be riding the Krampus, I would think it would be perfect from what I hear about Poto.
2013 Trails - Brown County, Poto(Finally) Arcadia Dunes, Yankee, Custer, Andrews, TK Lawless, Bendix Woods, Rum Village, Love Creek
2013 Total Mileage - 4932
2013 Trail miles - 338 - pitiful
clydeone

Postby deuxdiesel » July 17th, 2013, 9:27 am

I'm still struggling with finding the right SS gearing for my Krampus. The significant rolling resistance and weight of the rims/tires is more noticeable than on a 29er. A gear that allows for not too hard climbing and takes advantage of the incredible traction the bike has spins out easily on the flats or flow sections. I'll keep trying- there are far worse problems a fellow could have :wink:
deuxdiesel

Postby Sortaslow » July 17th, 2013, 10:37 am

deuxdiesel wrote:I'm still struggling with finding the right SS gearing for my Krampus. The significant rolling resistance and weight of the rims/tires is more noticeable than on a 29er. A gear that allows for not too hard climbing and takes advantage of the incredible traction the bike has spins out easily on the flats or flow sections. I'll keep trying- there are far worse problems a fellow could have :wink:

Getting along with the brakes yet? ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sortaslow

Postby okeja » July 18th, 2013, 1:05 pm

I dig the Krampus idea and also think it would make a great all around (and all year round) XC bike
I have not ridden one, but from experience I think the key to fun factor of a bike like this is that wheels are still close to 'normal' size; but rim width matched to tire width which leaves a mostly vertical sidewall which lends to stability esp at lower pressure which allows use of tire as suspension while still rolling easy. Reminiscent of an old school Honda ATC three wheeler.

Would like one very much ...but I am kinda cheap and 26ers are so inexpensive lately

Maybe OT but I have been running my 26" bike with similar setup since mid-90s when I was lazy one spring and left the Snow-Cats on.

Ride experience is similar to what Sortaslow & Clydeone reported. Lower pressure eats up rocks, root, etc. and makes for a smooth rigid bike. Rolls great. Sticks in corners. Plenty grip. Does not fear sand or gravel. Works on Mi sandy loam, mud, hardpack, wet leaves. Does well in snow at ~10psi.

okeja

Previous

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques