Krampus

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Krampus

Postby G.Cook » March 6th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Thinking of a Krampus SS build to replace my Rig. Opinions ?
G.Cook

Re: Krampus

Postby Sortaslow » March 6th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Mmmm. Like this one?
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Sortaslow on March 13th, 2013, 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sortaslow

Postby Jerry68 » March 10th, 2013, 9:28 am

I think unless you have the frame, or have one on order, you will be waiting a whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile :evil:
Pisgah Area Sorba
Fortitudine Vincimus
Jerry68

Postby Sortaslow » March 10th, 2013, 8:14 pm

Treefort has a small in stock! Cook might look a little funny on it though.
Sortaslow

Postby G.Cook » March 10th, 2013, 8:44 pm

I usually go XL but if I understand it right about what Surly says about frame size for the Krampus , the frame for me would be L. The wheelset looks to run I'm think'n around $800 built. All the other bits and pieces would come off the Rig, hopefully.
G.Cook

Postby Sortaslow » March 10th, 2013, 9:40 pm

Whenever I get to hit dirt on it, I'll let you know how I like the ss on this.
Sortaslow

Postby Sortaslow » March 30th, 2013, 11:04 pm

Not bad at 26 lb 3 oz. Now, when is the dirt going to be ready?
Sortaslow

Postby G.Cook » March 31st, 2013, 8:25 am

Great looking rig. :icon_salut:
G.Cook

Postby AllMountin' » March 31st, 2013, 9:29 am

Are people using this as a primary rig or a 2nd bike?

Not sure I fully understand the market. It's too skinny for serious snow biking, especially as a SS, but maybe ideal for less than ideal dirt riding?

I thought it might make for an interesting fat front 29er rigid SS. Not as drastic as full fat front, but with some added small bump compliance and momentum.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Sortaslow » March 31st, 2013, 9:55 am

AllMountin' wrote:Are people using this as a primary rig or a 2nd bike?

Not sure I fully understand the market. It's too skinny for serious snow biking, especially as a SS, but maybe ideal for less than ideal dirt riding?

I thought it might make for an interesting fat front 29er rigid SS. Not as drastic as full fat front, but with some added small bump compliance and momentum.

I don't know. It's my 10th bike. No plans for snow usage. I love my rigid ss karate monkey on p35s and wide tires, but always wanted something with wider tires/wheels. Here it is.

Will I like it? Don't know. On pavement it rolls very similar to my km. No extra resistance or weight felt. I'm glad with that as I had worries that it would have that fat tire kinda grab in corners. It's very neutral.

If the dirt ever dries.....
Sortaslow

Postby G.Cook » March 31st, 2013, 11:37 am

I'm hoping it will be a good replacement for my GF Rig. I'm waiting for the dirt to dry so Sortaslow can give me some feed back.
G.Cook

Postby clydeone » April 3rd, 2013, 3:16 am

disclaimer: I have never ridden a fat bike. Mine is 1x10. I could see it as a primary. from my limited experience with it excels at 2 things we have lots of here in MI - roots and sand. for me it works just as good in tight twisty stuff as my fisher 29r. It really exemplifies that old MTB saying "All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster... except for the ones caused by going too fast." Very good at technical climbing - lots of grip - if you can keep the pedals turning it will keep going. I really need to go and ride it back to back with my x-cal.
2013 Trails - Brown County, Poto(Finally) Arcadia Dunes, Yankee, Custer, Andrews, TK Lawless, Bendix Woods, Rum Village, Love Creek
2013 Total Mileage - 4932
2013 Trail miles - 338 - pitiful
clydeone

Postby Sortaslow » May 3rd, 2013, 8:51 pm

G.Cook wrote:I'm hoping it will be a good replacement for my GF Rig. I'm waiting for the dirt to dry so Sortaslow can give me some feed back.

First ride tonight. A bad tubeless valve on my krampus has kept me on my other bikes until now.

The bad:
Yup, you'll feel the slight extra effort to spool up those big ass wheels. But once you get going.....

The good:
Overall weight (26 lb 3oz.) is not too bad, but I'm running carbon bars and seatpost, aluminum chainring and cog, tubeless 120tpi knards and ss.

Steering is somehow fast. Maybe it's my 60mm stem?

This thing is smooooth. Those tires are root and rock monsters. Log piles are a joke. It eats the trail. Seriously. It's that comfy of a rigid bike.

As mentioned, mine is set up ss. Love it like that, but 1x would be awesome in this bike, and to answer your question, would make a *beep* of an all around bike for mi trails.

Hitting loose gravel, sand, etc. at the end of a downhill into a turn is no problem. Turning grip is unreal. It's faster than my comfort level- meaning I was entering corners much faster than I'm used too, so I'd freak a little mid corner and brake. Toward the end of my ride, I was just letting it go and do its thing. Fun!

Carbon wheels in this thing would be mad!
Sortaslow

Postby Nooge » May 3rd, 2013, 9:33 pm

Keep those ride reports coming. I'm really interested in different bikes like this.
Nooge

Postby G.Cook » May 4th, 2013, 4:10 am

Thanks Sortaslow ! This past couple of weeks I have been able to get some decent rides in at the Poto with my Mukluk . Your description of the Krampua , "This thing is smooooth. Those tires are root and rock monsters. Log piles are a joke. It eats the trail. Seriously. It's that comfy of a rigid bike" pretty much fits what I have been experiencing with the Mukluk on the Poto. It sounds like the Krampus is a good ss fit for some Poto riding. :icon_weelchairbb: :)
G.Cook

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques