First time buying BB and Crankset need help

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

First time buying BB and Crankset need help

Postby yukondoit » June 25th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Hey,

Builiding my first frame and need some help picking out a crank set and BB, to install on 2005 Giant Trance 2 frame. Not looking to spend over 200 and I would like to keep 175 length arms. Thats about all I know.... I'm an average riding I go couple times a week, looking for more reliability. I will be using an 8 speed rear cassette and I have a Deore XT rear derailleur.

I also need help for the front derailleur.

Thanks
yukondoit

Re: First time buying BB and Crankset need help

Postby pharus » June 26th, 2012, 10:49 am

I have a 2004 Giant NRS built from the frame up. I put on a Race Face Evolve crankset, that has X-type external bearings. You would need a special Park tool to tighten the BB bearings into the BB. I think it was about $100 new on ebay. It isn't a very high end crankset, but I'm not a racer either, and I am sure it is better than I am.

As far as the front derailleur, you need to see where the clamp needs to be in relation to the derailleur itself, which is dependend on where the shock mounting points impact the seat stay. In short, you need to determine if the clamp needs to be above or below the derailleur. Then you need to know if the cable for the front derailleur comes from above or below, which is dependent on the cable routing designed for your frame. Some derailleurs can handle either top or bottom cable pull, and some are specific. Also, you don't need to worry about SRAM vs. Shimano on front, they are interchangable with the front shifters, unlike the rear where the shifter needs to match the derailleur. I have an XT front derailleur with a SRAM front shifter.
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby pfox90 » June 26th, 2012, 12:22 pm

I would recommend a slx crankset, high quality bang for the buck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-NEW-Shiman ... 2020wt_952
------__o
----_`\<,_
---(_)/ (_)
pfox90

Postby Sortaslow » June 26th, 2012, 12:38 pm

pfox90 wrote:I would recommend a slx crankset, high quality bang for the buck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-NEW-Shiman ... 2020wt_952

Can't go wrong with slx or even deore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but xt uses lighter rings, but the rest of the deore and slx crankset is virtually the same minus appearance.
Sortaslow

Postby b_b » June 26th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Don't know if 3x8 performs better than 3x9, but I'm really sold on 2x up front. I wonder if you could use a 2x9 crankset. Just something to consider...
b_b

Postby yukondoit » June 27th, 2012, 8:06 am

Thanks, for the input... Well i have to reduce my budget some, any opinions on this crankset? http://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-Ride ... et-Oe-2010

it also comes 2x with bash ring, I've thought of this beforce considering i dont really use my 3rd ring and some of the reviews mention the low BB height on the trance frame
yukondoit

Postby a2trailer » July 11th, 2012, 11:21 am

I have the SLX 170mm 2x with bash guard on a 2007 Trance 2. Been clearing many more rocks and log piles without contact, and hit fewer rocks with the crank on the trail edge in turns. Front derailleur is original Deore top pull, top swing.
a2trailer

Postby yukondoit » July 14th, 2012, 11:09 am

Thanks for replies, I chickened out and got the normal 3x front gears. Went with the Race Face set up
yukondoit

Postby rvd » May 17th, 2013, 8:20 am

Excuse me for reviving this thread.

I am in the market for a bottom bracket / crank set combo and could use some help. I have an older frame with normal width bottom bracket (68mm?); I run the bike as a 1x with 36T front ring. The cranks, where they attach to the bottom bracket, have worn and need to be replaced. My local shop suggests I replace crank and bottom bracket (even thought the (XT?) bottom bracket is less that a year old and in good shape). I am open to any solution really, as long as it gets me back on the bike; just replace the cranks of replace the whole thing.

I would love to replace my current 3x crank with a true 1x crank. My preference for a 36T front ring may limit my options, or does it not? A bash ring would be nice, but is not required. I would like something XC oriented (relatively light), but it doesn't have to be top of the line (super light). Any suggestions?
rvd

Postby bikerector » May 17th, 2013, 6:38 pm

36t should be pretty common and they can be swapped out. I'm a fan of race face single speed cranks which work well for 1x setups. pretty much every single speeder on my team, 3 of them, like race face for the value of them. They're good and affordable.

I suspect the reason you LBS is saying to change out the BB is because it may likely be an octalink BB which makes finding a crankset ore difficult. External BB's are more common. Doesn't mean there's not a crank to fit, just fewer options. Pretty much every brand supports external BB's at this point. External BB's will fit standard BB shells, there will be directions on where to place spacers when installing the BB, if you don't have the LBS do it.

Single ring options: http://www.raceface.com/components/ring ... ngle-ring/

Single Speed crankset: http://www.jensonusa.com/!6bJO!IVL0-hCl ... 4Aod0zoAcA

Plenty of other options available from them and other companies, the evolve is what I have and it's been solid. I bought it from a "retired" teammate and he raced it last year and loved it. The next and turbine are lighter but are 2x, you may have to convert to single and bash. The next SL and sixc are in the stupid light category of cranksets, the sixc is pricey but light and according to the website, intended for all-mountain riding suggesting it should be pretty solid despite the weight. Sixc also has the option to come stock with just the 36t ring.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby rvd » May 18th, 2013, 8:09 am

Thanks bikerector for the helpful suggestions. That silver crank looks like a great deal. And Yes, my bike currently has an octalink BB.

I am now thinking about buying the 2013 Evolve SS crank (http://www.jensonusa.com/Cranksets/Race ... nkset-2013). It comes with a 34 tooth ring, has a bashguard, and is black. A bit more expensive, but it has a few bonus points.

[EDIT: Does anyone know if the actual bottom bracket is included? I find that hard to read from the specs.]
rvd

Postby bikerector » May 18th, 2013, 10:56 am

"Bearings are custom triple wiper sealed to better retain grease & keep contaminants out.
Bearings are factory filled with Phil Wood waterproof grease - tested & proven to extend bearing life. "

This suggests it is included. Also mentions that it has a proprietary interface, so it probably is. I would call Jenson, they're slow to respond to emails usually but also an option, just to double check. Unless they say specifically that a BB is included, I always assume it isn't and ask if one is needed or just order one with it and I'll have a spare for later. I tend to be hard on BB's since I ride in a lot of sand and am not shy if its wet out, cx racing and training tears up bearings too.
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques