Any good cycling books out there?

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Any good cycling books out there?

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » January 16th, 2014, 1:54 am

Has anybody read any good cycling books? I am looking to pick up a book and try that reading thing. Something on endurance, a story, training, etc.

What have you read? What would you recommend? Any to stay away from?
LuckyCharm4x4

Re: Any good cycling books out there?

Postby bikerector » January 16th, 2014, 6:17 am

I've read:
"Time Crunched Cyclist" by Chris Carmichael, it's a fairly quick and dirty way to jump right into to getting yourself training in a structured manner. He takes a very aggressive approach in the book with a lot of very high intensity intervals which is one of the best ways to maximize performance for time if you don't have much time. "Time Crunched" is considered 8-10 hours.

"Racing and Training with a Power Meter" by Andy Coggan and Hunter Allen. It's everything and a whole lot more that you would want to know about training with a power meter. It's intense and there's tons of information in it. Not real useful if you don't have a power meter unless you want to know about the capabilities of training with one. I need to re-read it soon as the first time I read it a lot of the information was over my head and I got complete information overload.

"The Cyclist Training Bible" by Joe Friel is one of the best books I've read about a complete guide to training. He doesn't do the best job of spelling out a training plan like "Time Crunched Cyclist" but gives you tons of tools to doing your own. He also does a lot of explaining of why some things are done while some others aren't. Biggest take away I think was that intervals make you faster and endurance rides get you into shape and you'll spend much, much more time in the aerobic ranges than in the anaerobic training ranges.

"Muscle Chow" by Greg Avedon is one I'm currently working through and I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's more or less written for people looking to eat for good physique, think male model or the like. The information is still relevant since we have a lot of the same demands and maybe more demand for high protein than power athletes due to muscle cannibalization. It has a lot of good recipes and a guide of how one should eat in way that is very much like an 8-week training plan. It's supposed to help keep the eating practical without the "hard diet" many of us try to do at certain points of the year to lose weight or gain weight or whatever. He proposes the cyclic manner helps remove the idea of dieting and just eating smart just like training smart which many have figured out.

"Cyclocross: Training and Technique" by Simon Burney is a great resource for cyclocross. There's less about training plans in it than the Joe Friel book but it does a very reasonable job if you are struggling to put something together as there is a sample plan laid out. He suggests what skills you should know and how to train for those. It's more focused on the skill set I think than the fitness aspect. It's probably a little dated now that disc brakes have become main stream as far as the equipment section but everything else should still be relevant.

If you're looking to get something for training the Joe Friel book is highly regarded. Reading can get a little dry as it has huge amounts of information but I found it pretty easy to skip around a little instead of reading cover to cover. Carmichael's book was probably the easiest to read and much quicker if you want to get right into something. The plan works well for shorter events, under 2 or 3 hours. My CX training is pretty close to that model in retrospect (had a coach for CX this season so I didn't plan any training this season).
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby berto2cj » January 16th, 2014, 11:20 am

Reading the race by Jamie Smith & Chris Horner - a good read (by MI native) on how to win crits/road races (not much in MTB). Some good tips on training but mostly about what to do when in the pack.

The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton & Daniel Coyle - this is one of the books that put Lance down. From the perspective of Tyler - surprisingly I found some good training tidbits in there and it is a good story.

Other items that are more along the story side: Eddy Merckx: The cannibal by Daniel Friebe, Inside Team Sky by David Walsh, and (currently reading) At Speed by Mark Cavendish.

I just realized all my books are road focused!
KLM / Cold Stone

2012 Trek XCal 29er
2012 Trek Madone 3.1
2014 Redline Conquest CX

Mileage:
-2011: 702.8
-2012: 3,868.31
-2013: 6,025.06
-2014: 5,354.14 as of 10/1

2012 Iceman: 2:44 (broken chain)
2013 Iceman: 2:22
berto2cj

Postby msugma » January 16th, 2014, 1:24 pm

This one's really good:

http://www.amazon.com/Its-All-About-Bik ... 1846142628

It's about a guy building his dream bike piece by piece and the history of bikes. Really good read. Not a lot of mountain bike content.... more roadie focused, but still really good.
msugma

Postby mmba7614 » January 16th, 2014, 4:07 pm

mmba7614

Postby getoutside2play » January 16th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Bobke II

Flying Scotsman - Graeme Obree (also a good movie)
getoutside2play

Postby mikejones » January 19th, 2014, 12:34 am

The book about the 7-11 cycling team was a pretty good read. Can't remember the name off the top of my head.
"It's all about the miles baby"
-MHJ (1955-2004)

This ride is for you dad.
mikejones

Postby 3d » January 20th, 2014, 10:31 pm

Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling

"BILL STRICKLAND, EDITOR-AT-LARGE OF BICYCLING
Bike Snob should be lovingly gifted to all new cyclers - and forcefully smacked against the heads of all the jaded know-it-alls who take the sport way too seriously."
in it to ride, not to accessorize.
3d

Postby Critter7r » January 22nd, 2014, 2:20 pm

"A Walk in the Woods"

Not cycling related, but an awesome read nonetheless. A guy spends (uh ...) a month, 3 months? (it's been awhile since I read it) hiking the Appalachian Trail and recounts his adventure.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby redwoods22 » January 22nd, 2014, 4:00 pm

'Roadie The Misunderstood World of a Bike Racer' by Michigan's own Jef Mallett is a fun, easy read (and translates well to any competitive athlete)
redwoods22

Postby classrc » January 29th, 2014, 10:26 am

I've read (and enjoyed) "Heft on Wheels" by Mike Magnuson... Like him, I'm fat and trying not to be so...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1400052416
2012 Ventana El Comandante Ultimate SS
2012 Pugsley Necromancer
I've hurt myself way worse on the road than I ever have on the trails... Nevermind, I stand corrected...
classrc

Postby sisu » January 29th, 2014, 5:12 pm

I'm looking forward to Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong, due out Mar. 4.
sisu

Postby barrybs » January 29th, 2014, 6:27 pm

I've been "reading" the Audible version of the Tyler Hamilton book and find it very interesting.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby hala514 » February 13th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Land of Second Chances. Its about Team Rwanda. I think they made a movie out of it too, but i havent seen it.
hala514

Postby wannabee » February 14th, 2014, 6:54 am

sisu wrote:I'm looking forward to Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong, due out Mar. 4.

Try Wheelmen. It's the same subject matter and a good read.
wannabee

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques