Gloves

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Gloves

Postby fletchlives » July 4th, 2013, 6:43 am

Hi, I am looking for advice on gloves. When I ride anywhere over about an hour I sweat through my gloves to the point I can ring them out with sweat. I am using Gore gloves with some padding in them. I'm assuming an option would be to carry a 2nd pair of gloves but is there anything else that might help this issue? Thanks.
fletchlives

Re: Gloves

Postby c0nsumer » July 4th, 2013, 7:16 am

Welcome to summer. I find that with riding this time of year I just simply become this sweaty and have to deal with it.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby AllMountin' » July 4th, 2013, 8:00 am

Right now I am using a Scott full finger race glove with no padding. It is light and minimalist, but it's the best I've used for sweat resistance.

But yeah, your hands are gonna sweat in anything if you go hard in the heat. Short of increasing fitness and riding at a less strenuous pace, I'm not sure there is much to be done.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby iamkickstand » July 4th, 2013, 8:02 am

wrist bands
iamkickstand

Postby bikerector » July 4th, 2013, 8:06 am

cOnsumer has it right, it's just part of summer. I would not recommend the 2 gloves thing just for convenience. I find it really hard to get gloves on when my hands are wet. If you're using full-ginger gloves, then maybe consider half-finger gloves if you don't care about exposing a little more skin.

There are more options in gloves that allow better breathability, I'm a bit nit-picky with my hands so I have 6+ pairs of gloves for different conditions, from minimalistic roadie gloves to fully insulated wind/water proof neoprene winter gloves.

Here's my hot weather full-finger option (I have an older model but you can see the lack of bulk vent holes): http://sixsixone.com/bike/gloves/raji
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby Roy » July 7th, 2013, 7:39 am

For Gloves try an open weave back.
Any glove will block airflow between the fingers. Blood flows down the inside surface between the fingers. Blood transfers body heat to the fingers. Any finger covering will block air flow and block heat transfer to the air.
Consider using larger grips that have some air space and don't wear gloves. Maybe cut the finger covering out of a pair of gloves.

A high wicking pressure shirt might cool the blood in your arms faster then bare skin. Some of these product actually work.
Anything you can do to lower blood temperature in your arms and hands will reduce the their need to sweat.

Roy
Roy

Postby Critter7r » July 7th, 2013, 11:10 am

iamkickstand wrote:wrist bands

Probably the best idea so far.

I sweat a lot too, and that post was a big "aha" moment for me, realizing that my hands are more wet from the sweat running down my arms than from the sweat that they actually produce.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby iamkickstand » July 7th, 2013, 1:38 pm

Critter7r wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:wrist bands

Probably the best idea so far.

I sweat a lot too, and that post was a big "aha" moment for me, realizing that my hands are more wet from the sweat running down my arms than from the sweat that they actually produce.

It helps. A lot. Doesn't entirely eliminate the problem.
iamkickstand

Postby fletchlives » July 8th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Thank you all for the comments, I bought a pair of wrist bands and it does seem to assist in preventing the sweat a little bit. I was able to at least ride Addison this weekend without sweating through my gloves.
fletchlives

Postby classrc » July 9th, 2013, 2:55 pm

I really like the Ergon full finger gloves. The white xc ones are light and seem to wick really well. They also seem to not block airflow as much...
2012 Ventana El Comandante Ultimate SS
2012 Pugsley Necromancer
I've hurt myself way worse on the road than I ever have on the trails... Nevermind, I stand corrected...
classrc

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques