New Cannondale F5 Issues - DISAPPOINTED

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

New Cannondale F5 Issues - DISAPPOINTED

Postby Katoom » August 3rd, 2010, 7:06 pm

I'm just getting into mountain biking. After a lot of research I narrowed it down to a couple of bikes and went with a Cannondale F5. Had to order the bike from my local bike shop. When it finally came in I was anxious to hit the trail but had to wait for the weekend.

Well, on my first ride the chain tangled in the frame and sprocket (sprocke guard) when I tried to shift the front sprockets. What a disappointment (but more disappointment to come). Needless to say it's hard to ride when you can't use all the gears plus it chewed all the paint of the frame there.

I took the bike back to the shop the next day. The put it on a stand and right away said the chain was too long. They said they'd have to talk to the genearl manager and the Cannondale Rep and call me back. Well, I heard back today. The guy acted like he was hero because they put a new chain on the bike. I asked about the frame where the chain ate it & if that was acceptable to them. He says that's normal offroad use and chain slap! WHAT?!? *beep*

I explained that was not acceptable for me. He says there's nothing they can do and I will have to talk to the general manager.

So far I am really disgusted with my local bike shop and Cannondale. I understand that every bike can have issues but how you deal with those issues is what's important to me...And this sucks so far! I'm let thinking I should have went w/the Trek 6000 that was 2nd on my list.
Katoom

Re: New Cannondale F5 Issues - DISAPPOINTED

Postby volklgirl » August 3rd, 2010, 7:24 pm

Sounds like your shop totally dropped the ball. Chain length and shifting performance should have been checked by the shop during the assembly process......this is not a problem with the bike or manufacturer, it is a problem with the builder/seller.

Sorry for your luck. Hope they make it right for you!
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby sawdustysneeze » August 3rd, 2010, 7:49 pm

Wow, that sounds just like my experience at a shop here in k-zoo. Bad news is it sucks right now, they will be very little or no help to you in the future. Good news is you are just getting into things and will probably be spending a fair amount of money in the future. Now you know where NOT to shop! I have found a couple of great shops that are completely out of my way and I relish the drive every time knowing I'm not spending money at the shop I can't stand! Things could always be worse, right? :wink:
sawdustysneeze

Postby Sortaslow » August 3rd, 2010, 8:05 pm

My f3 always tangled the chain between the chain stay and granny gear. It's called chain suck and can stem from many issues from lousy chain ring size tolerance to dirty chain and ring and other issues. Really chewed the paint and aluminum up badly.

I'm not sure if this was your issue too, since I was not clear on the chain guard you mentioned.

Yeah... my shop told me same garbage back then too.

Should be ok, but I know having a new bike scratched up stinks. Give it time and you'll have many more scratches anyway.
Sortaslow

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 3rd, 2010, 8:18 pm

Your feeling are understandable. But you have to remember its a brand new bike. I just got a new Specialized a few months back from my LBS. I love it though. Brand new bikes need time to wear in, the chain, cables, brakes, and etc. That is why they usually tell you to bring it back after a month, to make those adjustments. For those that cant do it themselves. My chain kept coming off the top of my cassette into the spokes, a very bad thing. The HI-LO adjustment were off from the shop. I changed that quickly. My point is that you need to get it properly adjusted then break it in and then make further adjustments if needed. Give it some time, hopefully you wll get used to the bike. My bikes 3 months old, been to the trail already like 50+times, 2 races hundreds if not thousands of miles already I beat the crap out of it and its all scratched all over already, its just part of real mountain biking. However if the shop is really giving you the run around, tell them and next time go elsewere. Good luck.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Brent » August 3rd, 2010, 8:19 pm

Sounds like a knucklehead built your bike honestly, and it should have never left the shop with poor shifting, and the chain length thing just baffles me. As for the Cannondale rep, well he is a friend of mine and I can say for certian they probably didn't even talk to Jason, I'm not a huge fan of Cannondale since they moved overseas (I own 3 c-dales and love them, but won't buy anymore) but I can say for certian they still have some of the best customer service and one of the best reps in the buisness.
Brent

Postby the jekyll » August 3rd, 2010, 8:24 pm

volklgirl wrote:Sounds like your shop totally dropped the ball. Chain length and shifting performance should have been checked by the shop during the assembly process......this is not a problem with the bike or manufacturer, it is a problem with the builder/seller.

Sorry for your luck. Hope they make it right for you!

+1
Not really a problem with the bike but the bike builder. I would keep after them. If the bike was shipped with the wrong chain then Cannondale should chip in to make you happy. There is nothing they can do about the scratches but maybe they can throw you some accessories :D
"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

Thanks,
Kevin
the jekyll

Postby Sortaslow » August 3rd, 2010, 9:43 pm

http://*beep*.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/Before everyone flames yet another bike shop or mechanic, stop and think what katoom said:

Shifting the front and chain got tangled. Not sure what a sprocket guard is he mentioned. This does not sound like the chain was jammed in the chain stays, sprocket, or rear hub. Sounds like it was tangled in the front chainring and lower chainstay.

If so, this is a bike problem. I'm sorry, but if the bike has a chain suck problem, it is not identifiable in a stand with no torque on the drivetrain... especially when the bike is new and clean. Chain suck is not something you can adjust for-short of grinding the chainring down.

The whole chain was too long may fix it as it a shorter chain will pull harder on the derail arm and help pull the chain down from the chainring teeth.

Either way, please clear up where the chain was tangled. Makes a big diff as to who or what part is at fault.

More than you ever wanted to know about chain suck:
http://*beep*.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/

Where the *beep* is, u have to type in: fa gan but put it together as one word. The mmba site bleeps it out.
Sortaslow

Postby Katoom » August 4th, 2010, 6:59 am

I don't know enough about the part names to say exactly what this issue(s) is. The employee said guard. I'm guessing he means the ring on the outside of the front sprockets. They've said 2 things were wrong. The chain too long and the pick up deals on the sprockets. I know the sprockets have spots every so often designed to move the chain or pick it up. Don't really get it 100%.

Either way, I don't see that this was anything caused by me. I took it out for about a 4 mile ride to break it in and see if needed to go back for a tune up.

I've sent a contact request to Cannondale in hopes of being put in contact w/a local rep. Cross my fingers that Cannondale and/or the shop make it right.
Katoom

Postby fizgig » August 4th, 2010, 8:13 am

do you have any pics of the damage?
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby ibisman » August 4th, 2010, 8:34 am

Sounds like a combo of driver error. Were you climbing a hill and tried to shift the front deraillier? As for the paint scratches....get over it. If you ride any amount you will have worse than a few scratches.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,957.9 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1534.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby tagheuer02 » August 4th, 2010, 8:42 am

I understand your frustration, but it sounds like you might be making a little too much of this...as ibisman noted, if its a trail bike you're gonna beat the finish up over time anyways...

I know it sucks....but it doesn't sound reasonable for them to give you a new frame or anything....

can't you just touch up the paint work?
Brandon Buck, Assistant Director of Advocacy for MMBA
tagheuer02

Postby Katoom » August 4th, 2010, 8:49 am

I don't currently have pics.

I was on flat ground when this happened.

I understand it's a trail bike and in time will have it's fair share of scratches. But, those scratches will be from normal use and not from something that I think should have been working correctly from the shop and not on the first ride. I guess it's more about how the shop is handling this than the scratches...but the scratches do irritate me.

Spending $800+ was/is a big deal to me. I guess I have high expectations.
Katoom

Postby mihalko1 » August 4th, 2010, 10:48 am

tagheuer02 wrote:I understand your frustration, but it sounds like you might be making a little too much of this...as ibisman noted, if its a trail bike you're gonna beat the finish up over time anyways...

I know it sucks....but it doesn't sound reasonable for them to give you a new frame or anything....

can't you just touch up the paint work?

Ditto. You're jumping all over the bike when it's more likely Shimano's fault than Cannondales. I don't believe it be either, though. I don't even fault the shop totally. They likely had it tuned to work just fine when you left, or you wouldn't have walked away with that shiny new bike, right? You rode it, stretched the cables further and dirtied up the drivetrain. S**t happens. Be reasonable.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realized that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.
mihalko1

Postby Rod » August 4th, 2010, 11:06 am

Katoom wrote:Well, on my first ride the chain tangled in the frame and sprocket (sprocke guard) when I tried to shift the front sprockets. What a disappointment (but more disappointment to come). Needless to say it's hard to ride when you can't use all the gears plus it chewed all the paint of the frame there.

So it over shifted off your big ring and towards the crank arm? Where did your paint get all chewed up?

According to the Cdale website, you've got SRAM trigger shifter/ der on a shimano crank.

It's just a limit screw on the front derailleur that keeps it from going too far. Shifting while seated allows you to push that front derailleur harder then you can in a bike stand combined with a little torque can make what happened to you. Sometimes is just a small amount that can make the difference.
Rod

Next

Return to General