1.25" Steerer Tube on Cannondale - Stem replacement

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

1.25" Steerer Tube on Cannondale - Stem replacement

Postby UpshiftUphill » April 15th, 2008, 12:29 pm

I'm posting this as a general notice to everyone for our benefit and maybe to save a few headaches. I looked for similar posts and couldn't find one. Some of the details on this might be generalized and slightly off, but the main information is correct. Basically it's a non-scientific anecdote.

For a few years, Cannondale and Gary Fisher experimented with a larger diameter threadless steerer tube (1.25" instead of the now typical 1.125").

Figuring this out took two people and two trips to my LBS (D&D in Berkley) for them to still mess this up. Short rant: I can't stand how I get treated there. Thanks for wasting a week! Can you believe they told me to put my bike on Craigslist? This is two bad incidents in a row. So, from here on, I go elsewhere.

During this time, it was common for stems to be very long without any angle. I don't know if this was intentional, or just how bikes used to fit people. I recently helped out a friend with one of these Cannondales by truing up her wheels, adjusting brakes, adjusting shifters, etc. When she dropped off her bike I noticed her seat was slid all the way forward. I had her ride the bike in my driveway. She was hunched way forward, really stretched out. Her legs fit well, but it was clear the stem was just way too long (It's the longest one I've ever seen, and I've been looking). She had a flat handlebar, too, which isn't helping. She's complained about hand pain while riding before. So, since the bike is in pretty great shape, I decided I'd find her a new stem and handlebar and see if we couldn't fit her on the bike better.

I've looked around, and the only people that currently use a 1.25" threadless steerer tube are tandem mountain bikers (Hey, D&D, you were wrong when you told me nobody makes them anymore, eat it, you know-it-all sociopath). Santana makes several stems, in various lengths and angles, for both regular and oversized handle bars. I bought one through a web-site. There are a few parts dealers. I didn't deal directly with the tandem manufacturer.

Here's the web-site I bought it from, I'll post here again if I have any problems, etc. It was over the phone.

http://www.gtgtandems.com/parts/stems.html

Here's the tandem builder:

http://www.santanatandem.com/

Oh yea, they aren't cheap. Oh well. The following words are to help any one else find this information in a search (cause I had a bear of a time). I hope this isn't a problem.

1.25" Stem Threadless
1 1/4 Stem Threadless
1.25in Stem Threadless
31.8mm Stem Threadless
Threadless Stem Cannondale Fisher

...Proud lake in 3 hours... :D
UpshiftUphill

Postby mdsimpson » April 18th, 2008, 9:16 am

What type of bike are you describing? Both of my Cannondales have 1.5" head tubes, and one of them is ten years old this year. I check-out Cannondale mtn. bikes every year, and have never seen any mtb. models with any other diameter head tube. I am also not aware of a single mfg. other than Cannondale that makes stems for 1.5" steerers.
mdsimpson
Kalamazoo
mdsimpson

Postby UpshiftUphill » April 18th, 2008, 10:03 am

mdsimpson wrote:What type of bike are you describing? Both of my Cannondales have 1.5" head tubes, and one of them is ten years old this year. I check-out Cannondale mtn. bikes every year, and have never seen any mtb. models with any other diameter head tube. I am also not aware of a single mfg. other than Cannondale that makes stems for 1.5" steerers.

I can go home tonight and figure out the exact model. I didn't buy it...and the description of when it was purchased was vague. I believe it's around 8-10 years old. I think it's a girl's bike (only because it looks kinda girly). I remember M600 on a sticker, MAYBE...I'll try and take a picture. My digital camera is destroyed...so don't hold your breath waiting for the pic.

But, good news. The Santana stem fit great. I was expecting it to be black, but it was shiny/chrome/whatever so it matches the old look! Bonus! Got it last night in the mail, so that web-site must have mailed it immediatly. Two thumbs up for them. The stem looked like it was made well and I have no complaints (other then cost and availability!).

1.5" steerers are (from my research) typically only used on downhill mountain bike applications now...and there are very few people that make those...but you can find them on speedgoat with some effort from big name manufacturers. I considered actually buying one of those and making a shim...thank god that didn't happen. The sizes available for a 1.5" steerer were very slim from what I recall. I only saw 2 or 3.
UpshiftUphill

Postby dh1 » April 18th, 2008, 8:00 pm

mdsimpson wrote:What type of bike are you describing? Both of my Cannondales have 1.5" head tubes, and one of them is ten years old this year. I check-out Cannondale mtn. bikes every year, and have never seen any mtb. models with any other diameter head tube. I am also not aware of a single mfg. other than Cannondale that makes stems for 1.5" steerers.

I have 3 cannondales. one has a 1" threaded steerer with a steel fork, one has a 1 1/4" threaded steerer with an aluminum pepperoni fork, and one has the SI integrated headset for lefty.

THe first one is a 1990 M series, the second is a 96 M series, and the last is an 07. Just depends on how old your bike is.

I think the stem in my 1.25 inch is not OEM. I actually don't have a clue what brand the stem is, but it has a rubber cap that says "Diatech".

* Edited to add: sorry, I wasn't paying close attention. My old bikes are all threaded steerer tubes, and you all are talkin threadless. Apples to Oranges :oops:
dh1

Postby mdsimpson » April 18th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Interesting; I did not consider cannondale rigid forks. I had an F300(?) about fifteen years ago, but this is a detail I wouldn't have noticed back then. I'd probably still have it if it wasn't stolen.

My Scalpel has a Lefty, and it is 1.5
My F3000 has a Fatty SL, and it is 1.5
mdsimpson
Kalamazoo
mdsimpson

Postby ctof » April 18th, 2008, 11:24 pm

Just an FYI, the Syntace F119 stem is for 1 1/4" steerers. When you buy them, they come with shims to go down to 1 1/8" steerer tubes.

Party!
http://www.cycletofitness.com/
People that ride shop at Cycle to Fitness!
->Bianchi, KHS, Turner, Moots, BMC, Niner, Surly, Lapierre, Quiring, Salsa, Voodoo, Soma, Pake, Soul, & Redline!<-
ctof

Postby UpshiftUphill » April 18th, 2008, 11:50 pm

ctof wrote:Just an FYI, the Syntace F119 stem is for 1 1/4" steerers. When you buy them, they come with shims to go down to 1 1/8" steerer tubes.

Party!

Thanks. It looks like all the Syntace F119's are for oversized handlebars only. Double check before ordering, I didn't look at their entire line...these also look more expensive, but I didn't search hard on yoogle. Good info though. Road bike stem maybe?

I just checked the bike. It is a Cannondale M600 and it has a rigid Pepperoni fork for our internetering records.

Simpson - bummer about the thievery.

Thanks everyone. Score: Internet 1, LBS mechanic with condescending attitude 0.
UpshiftUphill

Postby mdsimpson » April 19th, 2008, 9:00 am

Thanks, UpshiftUphill. It was my very first mtn. bike, and I wasn't even being careless. Someone came into my parents garage (doors closed) through a side door.
mdsimpson
Kalamazoo
mdsimpson

Postby Sherpaboy » April 19th, 2008, 9:30 am

It looks like all the Syntace F119's are for over sized handlebars only.

There is a shim that Thomson makes for stems to go from over sized handlebar to standard as well.
Trail's Edge Cyclery - We Are Bike Geeks!
Milford - 248.714.9355
Plymouth - 734.420.1200 (NEW LOCATION)
29er, Full suspension, Road, Cross, Family...and much more
Sherpaboy

Postby Tom_L. » April 19th, 2008, 11:14 am

Try ebay. You can find both inch and a quarter and inch and a half stems there.
:icon_thumright: :icon_sunny:
Cheer up, winter only lasts through April!

Timeline: Global credit crunch
Tom_L.

Return to General