Plasti-Dip a bike frame

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: Plasti-Dip a bike frame

Postby balexander87 » February 11th, 2013, 9:35 am

ChrisInYpsi wrote:
balexander87 wrote:I was thinking along the lines of waterproofing a DIY frame bag. Would allow a beginner to work with a less expensive material without the danger or ruining a pricey, waterproof fabric like X-Pac. Just get some cheap ripstop nylon, make your bag, then coat it with this stuff. Might be able to do it with the bag inside-out to make it more of a liner.

Of course, this is all if if works on fabric...

http://www.bikehacks.com/bikehacks/2011 ... ating.html

Awesome! That's exactly what I was thinking! Kind of reminds me of rubberized canvas, just lets you choose a lighter weight base material.
balexander87

Postby KLydesdale » February 11th, 2013, 10:14 am

Roy wrote:Would it work on fabric? endless possibilities for:

Cool, super hero stuff!
A bat suit, maybe?

Plasti-dip is commonly used by movie prop departments and amateur costume makers for just such applications.
KLydesdale

Postby KLydesdale » February 11th, 2013, 10:28 am

If you want the Plasti-dip to stick better to your frame, you can prime the frame using the primer sold by Plasti-dip or an acrylic automotive primer.

One thing to be careful of here is that Plasti-dip does not have great chemical resistance to petroleum based products. Long-term exposure will degrade it And, in my personal experience, it doesn't seem to have much resistance to sweat and body oils either. I coated the temple ends on one pair of my Bolle sport glasses with Plasti-dip and within a year, they were a gooey mess.
KLydesdale

Postby M3 » February 11th, 2013, 1:04 pm

My one concern about putting this stuff on a bike frame would be the same reason you don't put bed liner on a jeep frame. If you start to develop any stress cracks on the frame, they won't show through the rubber coating. Instead of catching something before a complete break, you just end up with catastrophic failure...10 miles from the parking lot.
M3

Postby TenSpeed » February 13th, 2013, 2:16 am

Anyone that has ridden with me knows that I don't ride hard enough, or ride crazy enough to damage my bike like that.
Ride. 48:15
2014 miles/goal: 1570/2500
TenSpeed

Postby iamkickstand » February 13th, 2013, 1:42 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Anyone that has ridden with me knows that I don't ride hard enough, or ride crazy enough to damage my bike like that.

yeah, bikes never crack unless they are being abused.... :roll:
iamkickstand

Postby TenSpeed » February 14th, 2013, 1:37 am

What I mean is that I don't ride that hard. I don't do drops, I don't do too many stunts any more, just pretty much XC stuff.
Ride. 48:15
2014 miles/goal: 1570/2500
TenSpeed

Previous

Return to General