New bike new rack tray?

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

New bike new rack tray?

Postby colehatch » July 3rd, 2013, 8:54 am

I just picked up a new 29er. I have a Rocky Mount tray on a yakima roof rack that this bike doesn't seem to really fit in like the 26 with the old style brakes did. The size of the fork mount seems a little different and the disc brake on the fork hits the edge of the tray also. I need to pickup a new bike tray...any suggestions while keeping the cost down? I'd like to go with a hitch mount but I pull a drift boat alot too so I'm going to stay with a roof rack tray for now.
colehatch

Re: New bike new rack tray?

Postby bikerector » July 3rd, 2013, 9:30 am

Cut away part of the tray to allow for the disc brakes? I've heard of this being the case for some roof racks but I've never experience it before as I've only had one type of roof rack and it's worked with everything so far.

I know nothing about this, but I found it in a google search

http://www.rockymounts.com/bike_racks_d ... p/0515.htm
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

Postby jalopy jockey » July 4th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Is your new bike a thru axle? That would explain the clamp's fit.

If so do you want to stay fork mount or is a wheel or (gasp) frame grabbing style in play?
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby colehatch » July 4th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Its a Specialized...would that be considered a "thru axle"? I'm open to suggestions.
colehatch

Postby Mucky » July 4th, 2013, 10:12 pm

colehatch wrote:Its a Specialized...would that be considered a "thru axle"? I'm open to suggestions.

A thru axle is one you have to take out of your front wheel to get the wheel off.( also on the rear of some newer FS bikes). Most people still have quick release(qr) where the axle stays in the wheel, and you can still remove the wheel from the bike. I had the same issue with my brake hitting and ended up buying new bike mounts.

I have a Yakima High Roller and a Yakima Sprocket Rocket for sale if your interested. The high roller works without taking the front wheel off. The sprocket rocket solves the problem of the brake hitting the crossbar or mount.
Mucky

Postby iamkickstand » July 5th, 2013, 9:01 am

colehatch wrote:Its a Specialized...would that be considered a "thru axle"? I'm open to suggestions.

There are three common hub options.

Standard quick release, 15mm and 20mm thru axles.

You likely have a standard quick release or a 15mm thru axle. 20mm thru is usually reserved for "Longer" travel all mountain, freeride, or Downhill bikes.

You have options, you can either get a different tray that doesn't require removal of the front tire, or if you have a different axle there are adapters that clamp to your current rack and allow your different axle to work, which also raise the front of the bike and will eliminate the brake interference. If you have a standard quick release and your previous rack/bike combo was standard quick release you may be able to clear the brake by turning your handle bars all the way around when mounting to the rack, I had to do that with one of my bikes, but it put the brakes out front and out of harms way when mounting to the rack.
iamkickstand

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques